Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual c++ 6 Can't update program database error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejfoster

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
GB
I'm using Visual c++ 6 Standard Edition, The files for the workspace reside on a mapped network drive. When I try to do a 'build all' for example, visual c locks up for about 1min and then generates the following error, "Can't update program database" the solution is to re-boot, which then temporarily fixes the problem. After a while it starts again. What is interesting is the fact that when I re-ordered my files in the workspace it always seemed to stop at the same file.

The files that compile OK reside in the same directory as the workspace, but the files that start to cause the problem (when it happens) are in another directory.

Well I've no idea so any help would be grateful

Wayne Foster.

The program database is the file with the extension .pdb that can be found in the Release or Debug directory of your project. (one reason would be that this file is somehow read-only)

Delete this file by hand, I think you should delete also the .ilk file(Incremental Link file), if you continue to have problems.(don't worry, these files will be recreated)

The Visual C++ EDITING(for the IDE) database is the .ncb and .opt files from your project directory.
If you still have problems you can delete these too by hand. Make a backup copy to be sure. Anyway the VC++ should recreate them at a smaller size.

Let me know if you stil have problems,

Hope this helps s-)

Blessed is he who in the name of justice and good will, shepards the week through the valley of darkness...

Burtani-

You spelled shepherd and weak wrong in your quote. Also goodwill is one word. I suggest if your quote is something you believe in, it should have correct spelling

Yes, you are right, English is not my native language although I manage masylf pretty well with it.
It is a cite from the movie Pulp Fiction and one of Ice T. songs and I like it.
It originates from Yezechil(wrong spelling I supose).

Thanx s-)

Blessed is he who in the name of justice and good will, shepards the week through the valley of darkness...

joeCpp-

How well can you manage a foreign language? (German for example). I think how you write smth. is of no importance. More important is to have something to say that has a meaning and can be helpful to someone.

>:-<

PS.I'm not a German, but I can speak/writer german, too.

s-)

Blessed is he who in the name of justice and goodwill, sheperds the weak through the valley of darkness...

JoeCPP, I speak romanian, russian, french, english. How many languages do you speak? In many forums there the top experts was (and are) romanian and russian people. John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

In this case your name should be joeGrammar :) John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

waynejfoster - sorry for using your thread, hope your not mad on us.

John - thank you for your support.
Joe - I think you look better now with your last profile name.

s-)

Blessed is he who in the name of justice and goodwill, sheperds the weak through the valley of darkness...

It's ok guys, nice to get rid of some stress. Anyway back to the original thread. I'm still having problems with the machine reporting error c2471 can't update program database.
I've tried deleting the .opt,.plg and .ncb files to no avail. I've tried a 'CLEAN'. The .pdb file is NOT read-only. Maybe visual c get up it's arse about working across on a network drive, in fact before I installed a switch on the network to replace the hub it used to crash other clients machine??. I'm currenly downloading the service pack 5 (130mb phew), so I live in hope that this make the problem go away. Anymore comment would be appreciated.

Regards Wayne.

Just because no one complains about the work you do does not make you a genius, maybe your the boss.
(naff quote but there you go!)

Try also the following:
- Open the .dsw and .dsp files in a text editor and look for some path that is no more available.
- ProjectSettings(ALT+F7)->C/C++->General->Debug info->Select either none ore Program Databaase. See what happens.
- Read the article &quot;PRB: C2471 or LNK1140 Error with PDB File Limits&quot;.

If you are using a network mapped drive , or you have prevously used this may be the source of the problem.

Hope this helps, s-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back