Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Basic wont run with user level access

Status
Not open for further replies.

bones5876

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2002
AU
I manage a Windows 2000 network at a local High School. I have to lock down the computers pretty tight to stop students from playing around and installing files. The problem I am having is with Visual Studio 6. It installed fine and runs but when you go to the components section and try to add some components the program just closes itself without any warning or errors. It works fine if I am logged in as an administrator but when the students log in under their user account the problem occurs. The only way I have been able to fix the problem is give the students power user lever access on the computers which is something which I don't really want to do. I can't seem to find out what extra access they need to run VS6 properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Come on guys. Isn't there anyone out there who might have an answer to my problem? I am sure someone must of come across this before right?

Configuring non Win2000-logo-certified apps to run with "user" access is tricky. The component toolbar configuration is probably stored under hkey_local_machine somewhere in the registry.

As a first-step test, I like to temporarily grant users full access to the C:\Program Files\AppName and hkey_local_machine/Software/AppName. Sometimes, you will find that the app is trying to drop INI files in C:\WINNT, or drops temp files somewhere.

I think Visual Studio 6 is going to be a lot of work to figure out how to run it as a user. You might want to consider making a special account with higher access for the VB students to use.

Also, if you have access to a WinXP computer, try the Application Compatibility Toolkit 2.6. I forget the name, but there is a tool in there that will "track" a running application and report what areas of the file system and registry the app accessed or modified. If you run it as a user, it will report file/reg areas where the app tried to access or modify but was denied because of security restrictions.

I have already given users full access to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio directory with no luck. I am currently giving the users access to the program by given them power user rights on the system which I am hoping I can take off them. Thanks for the idea on using Application Compatibility Toolkit on Windows XP I didn't think of that one. I will give it a go and let see what I find. Thanks for the help.

Hy,
I am working on win2k/sp3 and visual studio 6 / visual c++ and with a user that has administrator rights.
Working on a project with 200 files and 30 directories I have this problem that visual c++ closes itself after few minutes of doing something (most of the time only editing source files).
A colleague of mine is working on the same configuration with the same project but he has no such problems.
I have reinstalled visual studio 6 and also now I am working on a new computer. The only common thing is my user (a network user that has admin rights on my computer).

What could be the problem? What can I try?

I appreciate any ideas.
Mihnea

As I recall, our department's biggest problem with Visual Studio 6 was in VB6. I believe the problem was traced to the way VB6 registers the components.

If an administrator had previously logged on to the machine and used the component, it ran smoothly. If not, it crashed to the desktop. Using filemon and regmon should pinpoint the problem.

Luke Maslany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back