Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visual Basic is Kidding me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alehawk

Programmer
Jun 18, 2003
AR
Hi!
I got a computer for many, many, many years, I also learned to program using the old Atari 800 Basic but never happened what its happening today!
Got a set of applications which boots with windows 9x. I get this error the first time I boot my PC:
System error &h80004005 (-217467259).
I restar windows and all of my application will boot without errors. I shutdown my PC, turn it off and on, boot windows and I dont get any errors. I shotdown my PC for 1 hour, i boot windows and there is the error again. I only get the error the first time I boot my PC!!!!!!!!!!!
What's happening? My PC has the Devil inside?
TNX!

clear the contents of your startup folder. i assume youre using win 98 maybe older?

C:\Windows\Start Menu\Applications\Startup

or similar

~*Gwar3k1*~
"To the pressure, everything's just like: an illusion. I'll be losing you before long..."

I got only my apps in Startup :( I need them to boot with windows...

tnx for your reply. What gets my atention is that If i boot windows without my apps and the I execute all of them by hand there is no error, the error occurs only once when windows it booted for the first time only! :(

Long shot:

Possibly a DLL/OLE object needed by your apps is loaded by another app that starts AFTER they do.
Yours don't know the correct location?
Once it is in memory, your apps will start without trouble.

This would explain why starting them manually after windows has startup up, will work.

I don't know how to change the boot order of items in the startup folder.
It would be best in any case to identify all the dependancies of these programs, and check that out.

You might be able to force 'order of loading' by skipping the Startup folder, and adding RUN= entries into the registry instead.

Maybe the apps load too quickly to make a difference. I run AdAware on startup but it loads too quickly and thus doesnt perform the scan properly, i have to run it manually. this could translate to you, maybe the apps load before a required dll or something is loaded?

~*Gwar3k1*~
"To the pressure, everything's just like: an illusion. I'll be losing you before long..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back