Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

visual basic 6 on a LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildelf

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
GR
I made a program for counting the time when you press the button "start" and charging it when you press the button "stop", to 15 different PCs. All the PCs are connected in a LAN with a server. I was wondering if i can activate and deavtivate the screensaver to those 15 PCs by pressing a button in that program i made which is installed on the server. But i want it to be the only way to activate and deactivate the screensaver, and not by moving the mouse or pressing a key to those 15 PCs.
Is this thing possible to make on a LAN? ,
Is there anyone who can help me?

It is possible, you need your program to run in the background(as a service would be good) that way you can send a message from your server to each client(winsock would work for this well) to show the screen saver, if you disable disable input until your programs receives a message from the server to say it can turn the screen saver off again.

You may want to look into the enable window api.

Hope this helps

Matt

Thank you for you time Matt.
I don't know how winsock works yet but i will soon find out.
Do i have to make another program and install it to the clients or
i have to add some more code lines in the program i made on the server?
And something else, where do i have to look for "enable windows api" ?

You will need to have another program on your clients machine, this could be the screen saver itself if you want to write it yourself, or you could just launch it from your program.
The EnableWindow API is a system call (look up API Calls in a search engine) that allows a window to accept input or not.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back