Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista to XP? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUJUm0deL

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
US
I just bought an HP (Compaq) CQ50. The laptop came with Vista Home. I want to reformat the HD and install XP Pro. Is that going to cause an issue with any hardware, say like the graphics card?

The graphics card is NVIDIA GEFORCE 8200M G

I'm asking cause I installed XP Pro and screen has a delayed response time. When I click on a program, move a window around it takes a sec or so for it to respond. So then I thought what if the drivers are not installed? I did a Google search and found the drivers here. That link notes that this driver is for a Vista OS. So that got me wondering, and here I am...

Thanks.

Your rock man!! I'll install these tonight when I get home from work. If you lived closer to me I'd buy you some drinks (you earned it!).

I'm backing up all these drivers/files to a CD so that when I need to reformat the HD in the future this will be a piece of cake.

I'll report back here tonight.

Merry X-Mas to you too.

If you lived closer to me I'd buy you some drinks (you earned it!).
yep, it's just a little jump over the great pond... he he...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

The first link installed perfect.

Ran into a problem installing:
SP36090 AUDIO VEN_14F1&DEV_5051.rar. Got an error saying Driver Installation failed: Could not find the MEDIA device for this driver

SP36089 MODEM VEN_14F1&DEV_5051.rar. Got an error saying Driver Installation failed: Could not find the MODEM device for this driver

I rebooted and tried again, and had the same problem.

I double checked info I provided from the DETAILS tab.

The identifiers where correct up until the SUBSYS (which I overlooked)...

Since the SUBSYS identifies the manufacturers implementation, meaning the hardware it is installed into... e.g. A Conexant Hermosa Modem (VEN_14F1&DEV_5051) in a HP laptop (SUBSYS_103C360A)...

I've uploaded the correct driver to:
the above file contains both the MODEM and the AUDIO in seperate folders, so unpack them into a folder, e.g. ConexantModem... Then manually install the driver...

To install a driver manually: In DEVICE MANAGER, double-click that hardware item > Click the (Re)install Driver button > in the resulting screen check No, not this time and click Next > choose Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) and in the following screens browse to the location of the file to install the driver.

Let me know how it went...

Ben

I think there's something wrong with the download link. Tried in FF and nothing happens, and in IE a "The page cannot be found" error happens.

I tried at least 6 times, even closed the browser and tried again.

Hey, I guess the problem was on badongo.com side. I just tried now, and was able to DL the file.

I installed it, and it worked! Both the audio and modem.

Awesome dude!! I feel like swimming over the pond and getting a few bottles of drinks.

:)

Glad that it worked out in the end... The site was probably down for a while...

You're welcome, have fun, and enjoy the holidays...

Ben

Hey Ben, having some issues with the wireless connection. If I plu in the cable modem, I can get online and no issues. But when I get on the wireless connection, I can't get any connection.

The wireless card I have is DELL Wireless 1395 WLAN MiniCard, manufacturer is Broadcom.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Wireless connections are a bit tough to interpret...

but check if the Wireless NIC is set to the same net as the AP, that the correct drivers are installed...

Ben

I did check that. I compared the settings with the my work laptop (the work laptop's wireless works great). Is the DELL Wireless 1395 WLAN MiniCard for win XP Pro or Vista?

Update to the new XP Wireless Client:

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Wireless Connection and SP2
thread779-1271580

To re-install the wireless zero configuration service under XP, see:
"Turbulence In The Ether"

If you downloaded this driver from Dell ( ), then you have the correct one, and it is for W98, W2k, XP, XP64, Vista 32 and 64 bit...

now, take a close look at Linney's links, they offer a wealth of info on wireless...

I can only give an extra tip, and that would be to let windows control the connectivity and not the proggy from Dell that comes with the driver...

Ben

Hi Ben,

Fred Langa agrees with your wireless tip in his
"Turbulence In The Ether" article which I now quote.

"As for configuring your wireless, with each of the last four laptops I've gotten over the years, I've ended up eventually stripping out the vendor's proprietary wireless access management software and letting Windows manage the connections on its own. In XP especially, the wireless connection tools are pretty good and not hard to use. And, with only one tool trying to monitor and manage the wireless, things are much simpler. For example, you can tell the Windows tool NOT to try to connect to just any network it happens to find; to forget about networks you'll never see again; to connect automatically only to networks you know about and preapprove; and so forth. I keep hoping that some vendor will ship a truly effortless tool, but none in my experience has even come close; instead, the built-in Windows tool is still the best I've found

Hi Linney,

Yeah, just like Fred, I found it easier to use the Win tool myself...

and I have to admit that I don't have that much experience with wireless, much of what I know about wireless, I picked up either from school or from various sites I may have read...

Ben

Ben, I tried to install R202477.exe, and got an error: No compatible hardware found. The software you are attempting to install is not supported in on this system.

I do let windows control the connectivity, there is no program from DELL (this is an HP laptop). I just press the wireless button and it tries to find the available network. It finds mine and after a while all I get is "limited or no connectivity" message (message says problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer). Oddly, the desktop in the bedroom, my blackberry and work laptop all work fine (so I know its not an issue with my network).

Linney, I looked over the link and ran most of all the steps in the How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2...even though I have SP3 (does that matter?) The link to To re-install the wireless zero configuration service under XP returns a 404-page not found. I searched his blog for re-install wireless zero configuration and no results.

Still no luck.

I even searched DELL's site for updated drivers but my laptop is not listed in the Compatibility chart.

Got it to work. I just rebooted...everything. The cable modem, the router, the laptop. Waited and lo-and-behold it works. Not really sure how that worked, but it works.

Thanks Ben and Linney for the help!!

The new link, or a similar link for

To re-install the wireless zero configuration service under XP,

Or search in the Archives of that Blog.

This will lead to some SP3 relevant articles other than those you seem to be stuck with SP2 troubleshooting articles.

Wireless problem service pack 3

Anyway glad you have finally got things fixed, there is nothing like a good old reboot, whether it is machine, router or whatever.

Got it to work. I just rebooted...everything.
Yep, as Linney said, rebooting is sometimes the cure all...

Glad that all is up and running...

about the driver, ignore it if it did not take, the one I listed was the one that DELL spat out when I searched for it using the info you had given, probably same story as with the Audio/Modem driver where the subsys was not compatible... anyways one can learn from the experience, e.g. when connectivity is bad or messed up, try rebooting the router (or access point)...

For most troubleshooting steps, it really does not matter if you have SP2 or SP3, there is not that much of a difference in certain areas of the OS for it to matter...

Ben

Ben,

I have a Compaq presario cq50-105nr

what are the drivers i need to install windows xp. A complied list would be appriciated.

Thanks a ton in advance

Huzefa911 - it is not appropriate nor wanted that someone jumps a thread, so please start you own and give as much information as possible, e.g. see the posts about the VEN and DEV id's...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back