Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista seems to be partially in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

noblehill

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2001
FI
So it finally happened to me, too. I got malicious software. It opened numerous internet explorer windows as soon as I logged in. I managaed to get rid of this feature with a little help from HijackThis, some registry cleanup software etc. Now I have a new problem instead: when I log in with my credentials (I am a member of admins) I can't run .exe-files. I can't open task manager, command promt, any browser. I can somehow open Outlook, but that's it. Many of my icons on my desktop have been replaced with wrong images. (I have a cure for that, but I need to use task manager with my own credentials to do use it.) I don't get this problem whenever I log with another user account, they seem to work fine.

When I start Windows into dafe mode, I can't run any these .exe files. try to open an .exe-file, I get prompted if I want to open the file. I click "run", then I get a security alert notification from Internet Explorer. I click "run" again. Then the first promt shows up again, the the second, then the first... I suppose it is a normal feature in safe mode, but when I start Windows normally the same thing happens.

My OS is 64-bit Vista Enterprise. Any ideas how to fix this? I have scanned my computer for worms like Vundo or Sircam, but none has been detected.

It may be that your account settings have been damaged in some way, but you must ensure that the infection has been removed.

When you say you have scanned your computer, which tools have you used?

Superantispyware, DrWeb and MalwareBytes are all good deep scanners, use these initially and make sure they are run with the computer in safe mode. Run a scan with Hijackthis and post it here forum760

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

I suppose it is a normal feature in safe mode,". I don't think so.

Fix a corrupted user profile

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

Why does Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening?

I see lots of recommendations here for programs like -

SuperAntispyware

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

After such an experience I'd be tempted to save my valuable data and clean install the operating system.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

The tools I used were Hijac this, Superantispyware and Anti Malware ja Free Registry Cleaner for Vista. I'll post my Hijack this log, thanks for the tip.

I managed to get past the problem by deleting my locally stored profile. I was using a roaming profile, but I could not get a copy of my profile from the server. Vista just kept saying I was logged in with a temp profile and changes will not be saved. So I edited registry and deleted the key pointing to a profile ending with .bak. That solved to problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back