Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista - same file name, different file contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingis

Programmer
Jan 23, 2002
LT
Recently I was forced to switch to Windows Vista and am experiencing strange behavior of the file system. In some mystical way there are files, which contents are different when opening them from different programs or different user accounts. Even deleted files sometimes could be opened so far like they were still on the disk. It seems also like the system allows for restricted user to have a "virtual local copy" of protected system files, write them with different data, while admin sees the same file but with original contents. The same effect appeared also with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry keys - they could be written by restricted user (!!!), but the changes are invisible for administrator. What's the heck - errors, new sophisticated Windows features, viruses? Thank you.

Couldn't be there some additional Vista-related flags for CreateFile() API function? For instance, earlier versions of Total Commander have such fault, where the newest version 7.02a allready works correctly. I'm passing following flags to CreateFile():
Code:
my_file=CreateFile("my_file.txt", GENERIC_WRITE, FILE_SHARE_WRITE, 0, CREATE_ALWAYS, 0, 0);

Well, now I know it - it's a brand new MS invention - Virtual Storage. They proclaim they have some new API to swich the stuff off, or at least to enter desired files/keys to non-virtuable lists. I'm on the way now, but may be somebody has already heard something about it ant hint me where to start searching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back