Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista Roaming Profile on SBS 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlegates

Technical User
May 24, 2007
US
I have tried several times to get a Vista Business workstation to login into my SBS server via a roaming profile.

Has anyone tried this yet or know how to properly get this to work?

Any help would be appreciated.

They use separate profiles than XP, so if you are trying to get your Vista box to load a profile that was generated with XP, it won't work. You can log on with a local profile on the Vista system and then turn it into a roaming profile, but you won't be able to start with a legacy profile.

How were you trying to make it work?

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

I installed Vista Business from scratch and connected it to the domain. I then created a folder on my server called \Profiles\users\, and then pointed my user account on my Vista PC to log in using that \\SERVERNAME\profiles\users path and then logged into the VIsta PC. I keep getting an error stating that the user profile was not loaded correctly.

If it works anything like XP did...you need to first log on to the workstation without the profile being a roaming one. Then you copy that profile to the server using client-side tools (system control panel) and change the type to roaming.

If you are pointing up at the server and there's no profile already there, what's it supposed to load?

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back