Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista protects folders by default?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jslmvl

Vendor
Jan 26, 2008
GB
Hi,

The folders in my Vista seems be protected by default?

I have tried to paste a file into a folder, Vista said "Destination folder Access Denied" and gave me selecting buttons. After pressed "Continue" twice I pasted the file. Then I opened and edited that file, but cannot save it!!!

Try this, it's sounds like you have to take ownership of the folder/files. Are these files coming from a network share?

- Right-click the file/folder you want to own, click properties

- Click Security Tab

- Click Advanced

- Click the Owner Tab

- Click Edit

- Select the Administrators group from the list

- Click OK

- Click OK

- Click OK

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

Exactly what folder are you working in and what is the file? Some files and folders are protected in a way that requires you to access them with true administrator credentials.

(My blind guess - are you trying to modify the hosts file in %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc ?)

twiSSt,

Thanks.
Did what you suggested whthout success:
I cannot find
the Administrators group from the list
At the moment, the owner is Adminidterators.

smah,

Thank you.
I am working in two folders at the moment, one can be access freely but the other cannot be edited. Both folders are created by me.

linney,

Thank you. your linkings are about WindowsXP, can they be used in Vista?
You remaind me that the protected folder is under a folder for the second system: I got two shstems! Can I do some setting for the protected folder?

Where are these folders? Are they both somewhere within the C:\Users\your_username structure?

This is a long story.....I installed second Vista in my PC in a new partition and then in this patition I installed IIS and created folder xxx: inetpub/All the files in /xxx seems to be protected

I had the same problem until I disabled UAC.
So what if I want to copy stuff to C:\Windows\System, it's my computer...
I could not even copy files to folders I had created (like C:\Test).

As long as the File System is NTFS, then those articles apply in Vista.

Access Permissions are controlled by the loaded and running operating system and can be set, or reset, from that running system, even if the files are on another partition and Permissions were set by a different operating system. There is only one operating system running at the time, and everything else on other partitions are just files.

It can get a bit trickier however, if a dual booted system, that is not loaded, has set "Deny" Access Permissions for the "Everyone" user grouping on any files.

I find that from my dual boot setup (XP main partition, Vista Ultimate 64 on 2nd partition of drive (2x500Gb in RAID 0 configuration) when in XP I can't access some files/folders on the Vista partition. Why would they be locked if that isn't the OS I am booting into? Frustrating as I have to reboot into Vista, copy the files/folders to my XP partition (or other drive) and reboot into XP in order to access them.

Mike

mikeQA,

It is a permissions thing that applies to the files not their origin or location. From XP can you access the security tab of these locked files, and what does XP say about access and users?

I haven't tried that. I usually just rebooted. I don't see why they'd show as protected from the XP standpoint when I believe the XP files from viewing on Vista are all available. But if it's a protection issue/security issue I'll take a look from an XP standpoint and see what is shown and adjust as necessary. Seeing I am Admin on either of these installs I don't see why I can't access them from XP side. Just strange is all.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back