Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista PCs not accessible by XP Pro PCs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mungoman

Technical User
May 18, 2006
AU
My small network is setup so that all shared drives can be seen.
However, when trying to access any Vista drive from an XP PC it says there an issue and to contact the administrator of the server. The exact wording is the standard response..
On the Vistas ( Premium) I've set all the permissions for Everyone to Full. I've even turned off any firewalls ( although not happily) and still I can't get there.
I CAN get into the Public folder but this is not as convenient as being able to access data drives/partitions.
The Vista PCs have no problem with the XPs. The main Vista and the 2 XPs have the same user and password.
Any ideas??

Ah thanks Linney.. but that link doesnt go anywhere for me.. just to the Microsoft page... Could you check it, please?

Try connecting to the machine with a drive. This will tell you if it's a connectivity issue.

Open a dos prompt and type:

net use v: \\machinename\sharename

Change the machinename, sharename to appropriate values. You can also use any letter (F-Z) instead of V if V is used.

If you can't browse to it that way, then try adding specific credentials by adding:

/user:machinename\username

to the end of the above command. After you hit enter, it'll prompt you for the password. If you can get in passing the user credentials, then the problem is most likely the initiating machine is passing in the machinename with the username and the receiving computer doesn't recognize it as valid.

Thanks guys... I followed Linney's new link as it is usually spot on advice... As it turned out just making sure that the same user and password was present on all PCs did the trick... Even works with password protected sharing off...

Thanks for the quick replies... this has to be the best technical forum on the planet for accuracy and no piffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back