Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vista machine won't connect to server 2003 through VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

progman1010

Programmer
Jan 2, 2008
US
This might not be a Vista problem exactly, but I have had troubles as long as i've had vista on my laptop.

I'm having troubles connecting to the network through the VPN. My XP Pro machine connects just fine. When I run the connection, it seems to connect and authenticate successfully- but I can't get on any of the network resources.

The server is a Windows 2003 domain.

Any advice on how to identify what it is that could be causing this would be helpful.

-Jay

Probably more info will be required
but I can't get on any of the network resources
What sort of resources- file shares? Are you trying to connect by name or address? If by name, where are you getting DNS information from? What systems/software/hardware are you using to establish this VPN?

There are things you have to do---settings---in Vista to allow this. I can't remember offhand...but I think you have a Vista problem...I use Cisco VPN Client 5.x, and mine works fine. I have a Vista laptop at work, and a remote access VPN configured in my Cisco 2620XM router at home.

Burt

yes, mostly file shares. DNS info is from the same machine serving the VPN- using the standard windows VPN.

This problem is still unresolved. I have spent HOURS Googling for the answer and can't figure it out. Here's some more info:
- I can connect to the VPN
- Once connected, i can ping the IP Address of the server
- I cannot ping the server by name, short or Fully Qualified.
- NetBIOS is enabled
- Port 139 is open on both machines (saw that in a post somewhere). I even disabled the Firewall and AV entirely.

grasping for straws here...

Have you disabled that program permission thing that pops up every time you click the mouse?
I will check to see what my Windows guy found in the past with Vista and our Server 2003 VPN...

Burt

Hi, Just found this post and I having the same problem. I am not sure if it's a Vista issue (on my desktop which runsXP runs fine) but just bought my laptop and when trying to actually run the the installation process. The process gets interrupted with a warning saying"Error 1721. There is a problem with the Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run, etc,". I didn't activate my Office so I am not sure if this has something to do with it. I am afraid to buy the Office and at the end not getting connected. I also went ahead trying to install the Windowns Installer and got another warning. "Not enough storage is available to process this command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back