Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista host/xp client no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2007
US
My Vista Home Premium laptop is connected to the Internet via a Sierra Wireless Aircard 860 (a cellular modem). Although I have ICS enabled and an ethernet connection attached to a 16 port switch, neither an XP or linux PC will connect to the Internet. Both of those client PC's will, however, see files on the Vista host and I can find files on the other PC's from my Vista host, which indicates that the connections are working but, obviously, I've got some other setting messed up or Vista simply doesn't want to be the host at this party. I've had these three working fine with the XP as host, but no way with Vista as host. Any suggestions on why this is different and what to do?

Okayyyy..... I haven't changed anything, however, now the Linux box and XP box can still see and access files on the Vista host but the Vista cannot see either of the other two nor their files. The only thing that has happened (at least that I have done) since my last post is a reboot of all three PC's. That's it...... I'm going to bed.

I appreciate your response, linney. I had already checked out the first and last links you posted, and the tech library info made me go back and verify some settings. But, I still haven't found a solution that changes anything. Also, I had previously installed the LLTP topology software on the XP computer, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

So, I'm still at square one with the Vista connecting just fine to the Internet and cannot see the XP or Linux, and the XP with no Internet but able to access files on the Vista, and the Linux..... well, now it cannot see the Vista PC. Hmmmmm..... I can deal with the Linux later. If I can get XP to share the Vista's Internet, that'll be a good start.

I might check out some of the forums for sierra and see of there's some issue with the card and Vista ICS. In the mean time, any other thoughts? If I find out anything elsewhere, I'll post it here. Thanks.

Anything showing in any of the Event Viewers?

Does Safe Mode with Networking achieve anything?

What's the condition of the Hub or cabling between the machines? Is it worth trying a simple crossover cable and checking the results between XP and Vista?

I've got two specific events of possible interest. By the way, in switching things around and using XP as host again, the network works fine. As soon as I try to use Vista Home Premium as host, that's when the problems of no client connectivity to Internet occur again. Safe Mode with networking doesn't change anything on the Vista. Crossover works as long as XP is host with Vista client, not other way around.

I also have found a post with a nearly identical setup to mine, except this guy had a dual-boot PC with both XP SP2 and Vista Home Premium that he used as the host. Whenever he boots into XP, the network worked fine, using Vista he has the same problem as me; no clients can access the 'net.

This is wierd because my printer is even connected to the XP and I print to it all the time from my Vista, Linux, and the XP.

Of other note, I have tried stopping Windows Firewall (I have no other third party firewall), and stopping Kaspersky Antivirus (just for giggles) and nothing changed. I did not try this stopping Windows Defender, and I will do this now though I don't think that is going to do anything either.

I'm considering running a proxy server instead, but haven't had the time to set it up.

- <Event xmlns="- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-SharedAccess_NAT" Guid="{A6F32731-9A38-4159-A220-3D9B7FC5FE5D}" EventSourceName="ipnathlp" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">31004</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-10-27T07:11:57.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>85750</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>RoamingWolf</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData Name="IP_DNS_PROXY_LOG_ALLOCATION_FAILED">
<Data Name="param1">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

- <Event xmlns="- <System>
<Provider Name="Tcpip" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">4226</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-10-27T06:08:38.598Z" />
<EventRecordID>85622</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>RoamingWolf</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data />
<Binary>00000000010000000000000082100080000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

I thought I should get back to updating this post. Here's what I have done to make this work since I last posted:

I went and took the plunge with upgrading the XP desktop to Vista. The reason I did this was because of an additional hardware issue with a different style cellular modem. At any rate, the drivers installed flawlessly for that, so am using the desktop (now Vista) again as ICS host.

However, when I try to do the same thing, except using the laptop as host, it won't share the connection. It has no problem connecting to the Internet itself, though.

At this point, I think the Toshiba Satellite A135 has an issue with trying to host. Especially, when I took the XP variable out of the equation and it's all Vista (except the Fedora Core 7 Linux which connects just fine using DHCP and SAMBA, as long as the desktop is host). So, back to this topic; I'm thinking there is a hardware/firmware issue preventing the laptop from hosting. Maybe that it cannot route through a LAN and communicate with the PCMCIA slot the modem is in at the same time? Any thoughts or confirmations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back