Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista - Have to Copy & Paste Twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweevo

Programmer
Jan 30, 2002
GB
Hello,

I have a strange problem with Vista (Home Premium) where in the first instance of copying/cutting/pasting/dragging-dropping/Send To... of each computing session, I need to perform the operation twice. The first time it does nothing, and from then on it seems fine.

Not a major problem, but annoying.

I've searched the internet and can't really find anything relating to this (except one or two very brief references with no solution), so it doesn't appear to be a widespread problem. Does anyone know how this might be resolved, or suggestions where to look?

Thanks

Have you tried different Mouse or Keyboards? Does Ctrl C and Ctrl V work first time?

What happens if you boot into Safe Mode and try a Copy command from there?

If you log on as another user do you get the same behavior?

Thanks for your reply.

It's on a laptop so using its touchpad. It also happens with Ctrl-C/V, dragging an item from one folder to another, or using Send To to send the file to removable disks etc.

This happens for any user and in Safe Mode.

Do you think running a repair on Windows might help?

Thanks

Have you applied service pack, SP1 RC? It contains enhancements to file move/copy functionality in Vista.
Final release is expected Feb 15 so you may want to wait a bit longer in case you have not yet installed RC release.

How long has this odd behavior been evident? I take it that it has not always been a problem on this particular machine?

Does Copy work when copying files from a Command Prompt?

These are the repair options in Vista.

If you have System Restore points then using that may be an option.

You could try the System File Checker program.

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

Installing and reinstalling Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back