Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista dual boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve688

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2002
CA
I've been researching this but so far no luck. Here is the breakdown:

3 HDDs
1- 32 GB Sata XP primary drive
2- 250GB Sata Storage drive
3- 250GB IDE Vista primary drive

Originally has XP Pro on it which works fine. Vista installed to the 3rd drive just fine. The problem I'm having is that when I choose Vista from the boot menu, I need to have the Vista DVD in the drive for it to boot. It doesn't boot into the DVD setup, but it has to be accessing some files from the DVD that otherwise causes a BSOD when the DVD isn't in the drive.
This is the error message when it recovers:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: c2
BCP1: 00000007
BCP2: 0000113D
BCP3: 0009021D
BCP4: 88108EB8
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini030407-01.dmp
C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-59671-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2CC8.tmp.version.txt

Interesting to note that I previously had a openSUSE linux install on the 3rd drive that acted in much the same way. I needed the install DVD in the drive for it to boot properly into Linux.

On which drive did the Vista Boot Manager end up on? Is it on a Sata Drive and have you installed any appropriate drivers for Vista and Sata?

A general article about the Stop Error.

How to interpret a Stop 0xC2 or Stop 0x000000C2 error message on a Windows XP-based computer

These are more Vista related, I also see NOD32 mentioned often, do you use that?

Can you boot to Safe Mode in Vista? If you can that may indicate a driver problem.

This is a handy piece of software that might help you sort out any booting problem when dual booting.

VistaBootPRO

Have you tried using the Vista DVD repair and recovery options?

What to do if Windows won't start correctly

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is most likely a driver causing the problem. I need to figure out which one. Off to Kernel debugging mode I go.

Yes, It does boot into safe mode without the BSOD. No, I don't use NOD32.

I'll keep you posted.

Steve

Might pay to look at these too, in case it is a Service or third party program involved.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Problems is a minor bios problem..at times I get the same error, my fix ctrl+alt+del on reboot - F11 to reset the boot device .. then I reset on reboot F2 to make sure the boot sequence is 1. HD 2. DVD 3. floppy... something about the DVD thinking it has a Disk.. now if i want to boot to DVD i simply use F11 and say boot to DVD...
annnoying but works..
This problems is due to mobo drivers are not signed drivers .. they claim they are working on it...

Frank Smith
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back