Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista can't access windows 7 files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
I have a wireless network. Recently bought Windows 7 desktop. Vista laptop is already on the network. Setup a shared folder on the desktop. When I setup the Windows 7 machine, it showed up almost at once on the network. Here's the rub. I can access the Vista files from Windows 7 with no problem. I can't access the Vista files from the Windows 7 files from Vista. Says there is a rights issue. Any ideas?

Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none.
Benjamin Franklin

Hi,
This statement is a little confusing ( to me,anyway)
GlenJohnson said:
I can't access the Vista files from the Windows 7 files from Vista

Can you clarify what you cannot do?

Thanks..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

The files that cannot be accessed, have you tried recreating the Shares again? Perhaps you should give "everyone" access to them.

As well as checking any Sharing Permissions, have a look at the actual NTFS Permissions on the Shared Folders.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (or Vista)

Error Message: "Access Is Denied" When You Try to Open NTFS File System Folders

Add encrypted files to the list of possible reasons for Access Denied.

In the Windows 7 make sure that the settings in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings, are suitable for allowing Sharing in the first place.

Ok, I set up windows 7, created a folder and shared it. From vista, I can see windows 7 but I can't see the shared folder. When I click on the windows 7 machine from explorer on vista, it asks for a username and password. No matter what I put in, it won't accept it. Now, when I go to the windows 7 machine, I can see the vista machine and all the shared folders in it, and I can access all the folders on vista with no problems. Does that help? Thanks.

Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none.
Benjamin Franklin

What firewall and other security are you running on the Windows 7 machine?

I'm wondering if Vista can remotely connect to Windows 7, and whether changing the settings in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System\Remote will make any difference at all, even to the original problem?

If you do not have any user accounts setup on the windows 7 machine, try logging onto it from the Vista laptop using "Administrator" as User and a blank password. If you already have User accounts set up on the desktop, then logon with a user account that has admin privileges.
Be advised though that one of the main failings of Vista was it's inability to "play well with others".

Ok, I shared the "C" drive and gave my account FULL user rights, both on sharing and on security. Now I can see it on Vista, but when I try and access windows 7 from vista, I still get the Not Authorized. At least now I can see the drive and all the folders from Vista. So I'm closer. Thanks for the help.

Benjamin Franklin

Just wondering, does the account on Windows 7 have the same name as the account accessing from Vista? If not, it might be worth trying identical user names.

If you check in MMC on both machines, and look at Shared Folders, does the information in there confirm what you think you are sharing?

While you in that MMC, see what information, if anything, can be gleaned from the Event Viewer.

When looking at the Event Viewer, make sure you are an Administrator.

Better troubleshooting capabilities with Windows Vista's Event Viewer

Is any Networking possible if tested from within "Safe Mode with Networking"?

the following may be of help to you:

How to Network Windows 7, Vista, and XP Computers

Complete Guide to Networking Windows 7 with XP and Vista

Set Up Your Home Network, Windows 7 Edition

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Does the windows 7 machine have a user name and password?
I had a similar issue where I had set up a userid on a W7 box but had not given it a password. When attempting to access it from a Vista box, it would not accept a blank password. The answer was to give the W7 machine a password which I could then enter and everything was accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back