Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vista Aero stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKAlbert

Technical User
Oct 30, 2001
US
I was experimenting and changed the Theme in Personalization to Vista Basic. I did thins to see the effect. if any on memory usage. When I decided I liked the Aero better, and that my memory usage was not severely impacted, I tried to change and I no longer had the choice!

I looked all over the computer to find Themes, found the aero theme, restored the original VISTA theme from backups that I meticulously keep, but when I go to personalization, the choice is still not there.

I have not been able to figure out what I need to restore (other than a full restore of the entire system just prior to this experimentation).

Anyone have some good technical insights into this problem?

Until the 23rd of this month, when I get my Technet subscription, I am still on Build 5754.

Please help. I am interested in how this thing all works.

Albert

You could try System Restore as a first step?

Have you lost Aero under any other usernames you are running in Normal Mode?

What have you got in this location for available Themes, C:\Windows\Resources\Themes
are the Access Permissions correct?

Are there problems in Services for the Theme Service?

Does your Video Card have any settings that could be causing a Theme problem?

Something to look forward too is when you clean install 6000, all your current problems will be swapped for a new set of problems.

Why do some of you always want to take the simple way out? System Restore? We all know that System Restore never works. Well, it worked this time!!!!! LOLOL I spent all this time looking for convoluted solutions, and here the most direct route was the best. Thank you very much Linny.

Well, I have another problem, which I am going to try the direct way. "Suddenly" I can no longer play Video DVDs. I get an error message when Windows Media Player 11 tries to play a video that I have too little memory, and that I should try to close some programs (that is why I tried eliminating Aero). I closed every program in the system Tray without significantly lowering memory memory usage (I have 2 gig plus a large swap file and a ReadyBoost-enabled thumb drive), and I watched many videos in the past without trouble. I made one change: I upgraded the Beta Creative driver that timed out on the 12th to a newer Beta that I was REQUIRED to install on the 12th in order to get sound.

I will uninstall the new driver to see if that is the culprit. If it is, I am hosed. I will have a choice of listening to audio or video, but not both at the same time. I hate Creative drivers and I am really suspicious that it is the culprit.

Thank you again and i will keep you posted about this problem also.

Albert

Can you play them in Media Center?

Have you ever been able to play a DVD?

Video Suddenly stopped working correctly

You can see if the Microsoft tool tells you anything, other than it is for XP?

Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility

Cant even get it to install
thread1583-1257115

This is a good site for WMP and general trouble help.

Windows Media Player: WMP mini FAQ

sherlock-codec-detective

You can try this site if you like, ,and let it scan (ActiveX installed) and see if it says there are better drivers around. I don't know anything about reliability any drivers offered but you could slip down to the actual manufacturer's site and check them out.

Well, I have spent the last several hours working this problem with no success. I unloaded everything, I did a System Restore back to a time when it worked, I checked Memory using the Vista Memory diagnostic that is very thorough, I dumped several 32 bit programs that eat a disproportionate share of memory on this 64 bit system, and I am stumped. One thing you asked, that I had never tried before was the Media Center.

When I run the Media Center, I get "Decoder Error". Is the decoder in the graphics card or somehow built into the DVD Player?

If you do not have any more good guesses, then I am going to call Microsoft tomorrow. As a Technet Plus subscriber I do get some free calls, so maybe now is the time. I think that I will check my graphics drivers, but I think that they are current.

Your driver site had nothing for Vista 64 bit, but eventually it will so thank you for that reference.

Albert

You can have a look around here if you like.

You might run into trouble with Support if you tell them that it is a Beta version, I don't know what Technet feel about that scenario?

I don't know much about Codecs, but I did read somewhere that they have a date that might expire, and this fellow had to set the Bios date to before expiry. Might be an old wife's tale, I can't find any of my old wives to ask.

Do you have any DVD software such as Power DVD or the like installed? Maybe Media Center or WMP need the Codecs installed by such software?

Were you able to run the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility on Vista? There is a MCdiag tool for Vista but that I think was only available to Beta Testers, Technet would know for sure.

DxDiag is alive and well in Vista, I think?

I downloaded a Codex because Media Center said that I did not have the proper one. I used the trial version of Nvidia's. I have a Nvidia 7800GTX. When I rebooted, I got a BSOD. I used my Vista RC2 CD and went back to a good Configuration (Boy, does that work well -- Good for Microsoft). I really do not understand why so many are having this problem according to the various blogs you sent me.

I read the last website you sent me, and it could be a timeout problem that will go away with the final version. Today I got my Technet Disks and will load the final of Vista and see if the problem goes away. If the problem continues after the new install I will call Microsoft.

I will let you know in either case.

I did not have much luck with the checkup program for Vista because it found nothing wrong except missing drivers that I know are not yet available.

I have not found any other DVD programs that work with Vista 64 bit, otherwise I would have tried a download of it.

Thank you so much for your efforts. I hope that I can return the favor. Hopefully, after my install i will know more and so can let you know.

Albert

It is always good to complete a post with a successful conclusion even if the solution is a clean install. The next person to read it may benefit from the steps you have taken. Let us know how things turn out.

Your wish is my command! Installing the final version of Vista, 32bit (instead of the 64 bit RC2) and everything works now. I do not know if it was a timeout problem as reported on a number of blogs, i.e. Microsoft turns off the decoder after awhile, or a 64 bit problem, or an RC2 versus RTM Vista. Both Windows Player 11 AND Windows Media Center play just fine and no Codex needed to be downloaded.

Now I can watch my wonderful movie.

Hows that for your wished-for great ending?

Albet

I'm happy, (for you too). See you around on the forum as the rest of the world slips into Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back