Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VisionFS & W2K pro workstations authentications

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomby

Technical User
Jul 23, 2001
PG
I know the question has been asked before, but I have yet to see a solution, W2K logging onto VisionFS Sco5.5

I have two Sco5.5 box's 1 is VisionFS 2x, the other VisionFS 3x.

Dispite utilising the lanmanworkstation/parameters option for enableplaintextpassword and the local security policy to enable plain test passwords I am unable to logon to the Sco box. (printers are ok)

Have also tried using the VisionFS password list, however this still does not work, even with identical logon & passwords. (wxx works but not W2K !)

Microsoft says little,"Q224287" (doesnt work - enables browsing only!) Sco says that microsoft have introduced an extra byte at the beginning of the password after SP1. "TA 112503"

Any help would be appreciated, at this stage I think i need to go back to NT4

Why on earth would you want to use plain text passwords????

Change to encrypted. Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

I have tried getting Win2k logins using VisionFS 3.1 (the free version before Caldera bought SCO). The only way I can make it work is to set the windows username and password exactly the same as the SCO username and password, and then giving the group full access to the user's directory (chmod 770, I think).

Using Visionfs 3.10 with encrypted passwords, you can set the passwords to whatever you want:

visionfs password --amend fred whatever

Tony Lawrence

Thanks will try both solutions, one at a time.

Bomby

You probably need to start by running

visionfs setup

to change to encrypted passwords. If I remember correctly, that will offer to run the password wizard for you. If not, run

visionfs password --wizard

After that runs, it offers to let you edit the passwords manually; you can do that or run

visionfs password --amemd user password

for each user.
Tony Lawrence

I have this same problem with a Windows XP box. Message is similar to the one described in TA108198 "...not authorized to login from this station." I have always used plain text passwords with out any problems. Am I to understand that Win 2K and XP will only work with VisionFS 3.1 if passwords are encrypted?

I used VisionFS for some time and found it a little heavy on resources.

i would suggest you change to Samba. The performance and resource usage of Samba is far superior to VisionFS.

Caldera have released a compiled pkg that installs and configures quite well.

ftp://ftp2.caldera.com/pub/skunkware/uw7/Packages

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back