Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vision Point 2000 Printing Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchk

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2007
US
I am the new IT person at the business I am employed at (our SBT guy is a real jerk and is avoiding calling me back because he is upset with the boss because he wont upgrade to something new). I recently replaced the computer (XP Professional) at the front counter with a Okidata Microline 320 attached and shared. The Okidata is used for invoices. SBT is run as a shared folder on a server and each user opens VPW via a shortcut (this is very stupid I realize but thats the way it was setup when I came in). I used the same network name as before and VPW on the new computer will print to the Okidata, however none of the computers connecting to the shared printer are working now. I realize that because VPW is DOS based it wants to print to a LPT port for non-laser. In the past I have had a very clever way of fixing this: goign to the printer's properties selecting LPT1 hitting apply then setting it back to it's proper port then hitting apply again (why this works I dont really understand, but it has actually been more reliable than using "net use LTP1 \\front\generict /persistent:yes". I have an identical setup at another location I just went through replacing the computer attached with no hiccups. All of the computers can print to the Okidata with anything but VPW.

SBT maintains a separte report format for each company. As a general rule you should never edit the original, just these. These all end in numbers such as 01, 02, 99 etc.

Bill Couture
http:\\

Follow Up: PROBLEM SOLVED.

Knew it had to be something simple like this!

Login to a workstation as an administrator:
Open the Windows directory:
Delete the file "ARISWN.mem"
Open VPW and attempt printing an invoice
A choose printer prompt will appear.

MISC NOTES:
Printer must be an "Auto" discovered printer by Windows OR if manually installed must be mapped to a LPT port via the "net use" command, example:
“net use LPT1 //computer/printer \persistent:yes”

The persistent function is supposed to keep this constant, however in my experience it did not. I saved the script as a batch file called "fixvpwprinter" and put it into the startup menu on the all users account of the machine. The user sees a black flash on startup but knows no different. With older versions of Windows this may require the command "@exit" at the end of the script to keep a MS-DOS Prompt from remaining on screen.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back