Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vision Help - Shape holding other shapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MokMike

Programmer
Apr 16, 2009
Hello,

I am just starting out on using Visio, and wondered if the following is possible:

I want a "shape" to represent a business object, called an ACTION. It would have a few custom properties:
ActionId - a whole number
ActionText - string
Property1 - Boolean
GenericProperty2 - Boolean
TransGrpId - Whole number

Then, I want another "shape" to represent a different business object, a STEP, with the following custom properties:
StepId - whole number
StepText - string
DecisionStep - boolean
DecisionId - Whole number
Then, N number of actions, it could have none, it could have 20. Is there a way to embed this other business shape, or a collection of them, into this step shape?

Hi MokMike,

You should check out SpatialRelation.
This let's you determine if for example a shape is contained within another shape.

In your case I guess you're interested in something like this to determine if a action shape is contained in a step shape.

If actionShape.SpatialRelation(stepShape, 0.01, Nothing) = Visio.VisSpatialRelationCodes.visSpatialContainedIn

Shapes can be grouped and you can set some shapes to automatically added to a group when they are dropped.

John... Visio MVP - Visio.MVPs.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back