Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visio or Autocad for Network Drawings. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2007
US
I've been using a product called Smartdraw to create network drawings and diagrams, but my designs do not need to integrate with existing building drawings in any particular file format.

As I get larger design assignments, I expect that I will need to upgrade to a more professional drafting program.

I'd be very interested in hearing what you guys have to say, your experiences with these products and what you would recommend.

Thanks in advance!

............Richard

Believe it or not, I like to use PowerPoint for really quick-and-dirty but nice looking presentations. For more formal stuff, I use Visio.

Feel free to email me if you're looking for very specific templates. I've done a lot of drawings over the years and have a huge VST library.

Visio can import and export from AutoCAD. If you prefer AutoCAD...that's cool. But I suspect that most IT people will more readily have Visio at their disposal. If all else fails, you can save your drawings (regardless of format) as a PDF for maximum transportability.

Tim Alberstein

I have both visio and autocad here at work. Visio is my preferred tool as well. Autocad is great when you are designing facilities and need to pass drawings back and forth with the engineer, but my preference is visio. You can create your own templates and save them for future use. And you can get so far into detail, it becomes addicting! I get alot of compliments on the visio drawings, and almost anyone can hit the street running with that program.

Hey, why is there not a visio or autocad forum? Seems appropriate doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back