Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visio crash's when saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanJM

Technical User
Feb 3, 2004
GB
Hi

I have just spent 2 months working on a visio diagram, but now find that when i try to save...visio crashes. If i restart visio after the crash and try to open my vsd file i get an error saying its already open. If i open up task manager i can see 2 instances of visio, if i end task the the visio entries i can then open up diagram without an error...
Anyone else had this problem or seen this before

If you have a fully updated version of Visio2002, then this doesn't suprise me.

I recently reinstalled my whole machine, and like a good little boy, I did all the automatic Office Updates that I could, including the latest Visio ones.

Result? Drawings take a long time to save, often crashes, and even if the save is successfull, the file is HUGE! I had a file from a whild ago that was 450kBytes. I saved the file with my patched version of Visio2002, and it became 6 MEGS! I took the huge file over to a machine with visio 2003 on it and resaved it as visio2002 format, and guess what. It went back to 450kBytes.

Another example of a patch introducing a major bug.

My advice, uninstall visio completely, then install it again, and DO NOT PATCH it.

Just my 2 cents...

GregD

This can happen if you are running Visio 2000/20002 with Windows 95/98.
The only way I found to stop it happening was to upgrade to XP
iamstefan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back