Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Visio & SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelove

Programmer
Oct 19, 2002
BE
I have a complete ERD of my database in MS Visio, does anyone know whether i can and howto input this directly into MS SQL Server.

I don't know if it's possible, if not i have to input all tables and fields once again :)

Thanks

I dont think you are easily able to export a database model in Visio to be an actual database. (its generally used for documentation and reverser engineering already created databases).
Something like ERStudio from embarcadero allows you to create a physical database from a logical model.

Visio lets you export the actual database diagram in ODBC format (not a series of sql for table creation but a series of co-ordinates for recreating the diagram, done using tools _> macros -> visio extras)

ok thanks for you answer

and Visio can't create the sql statements for the database either then?

well i'll redesign my ERD in PowerBuilder then

Visio Enterprise used to be able to Round-Trip Engineer SQL Server DB until the MS Genious' decided to discontinue it.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back