Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VisFoxPro's SQLEXEC command to access Progress DB via ODBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hery

MIS
Jul 18, 2001
ID
Dear,

I have already put the Progress DB in the ODBC's System Data Source.
And the connection was established when I send SQLCONNECT ( Visual Fox command ) to it Data Source. But when I tried to collect some of records from the one of Progress table using SQLEXEC ( Visual Fox command ), the handler return value is -1, meaning the record could not be collected.

Can I have any advise from all of you as a Progress members ?

Thank you,
Hery S

Hi,

what progress Version are you using, v8.x or v9.x.
It would be helpfull, because there are some difference about odbc in these versions, V9 has its own SQL92-Engine, v8 not.....

best regards

I am using v9.x progress version.

Do you have any suggestion ?

Best regards,
Hery S.

Hi Hery,
Have you set up SQL permissions in the Progress DB?
First you need to create a user called sysprogress,
this is the SQL administrator.
Then if you are not using sysprogress from your ODBC connection, you'll have to connect to the DB using SQL Explorer and GRANT permissions to your users.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Paul.

Dear Paul,
Thank you very much for your guide line.

Yes, I have already set up the SQL permissions in the Progress DB, and log in using sysprogress in the ODBC connection. I could connect to my Progress DB.

And also when I connect to my DB using Fisual Foxpro, connection was normal. But when I want to add table in the Fisual Fox's Remote View, I found the error message like :

Connectivity error : [Merant][ODBC Progress driver][Progress] syntax error [7587].

Need your suggestion.

Thanks & regrads,
Hery S.

Hi Hery,
Another idea or two...
Does the table in question have fields with extents (arrays), if so you will have to create a view for this table. (I got hold of a program which does this automatically, so if you need it let me know).
Also Progress is a bit funny with outer joins, it has its' own syntax, Crystal Reports has a patch for this, perhaps Visual Foxpro does too?
Finally check out this link in Progress' knowledge base
That's all I know.
Cheers,
Paul.

Dear Paul,

There are no extents field in my table. But I will very glad if I have a program from you, and thank you.

Unfortunately, Foxpro does not have a patch like you mentioned above.

Best regards,
Hery S, email : hery@ho.otsuka.co.id

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back