Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VirusScan query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2005
GB
What happens when a file is found to have a virus and can't be cleaned or quarantined?
I've done an extensive search of the drives on my server but can't find any trace of it. Here is the notification I received.

The file D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi
1\Queue\NTFS_0bf1de3901c52b220000106e.EML\NTFS_0BF1DE3901C52B220000106E.
EML is infected with the W32/Netsky.p@MM Virus. Undetermined clean
error, quarantine failed. Detected using Scan engine version 4.4.00 DAT
version 4448.(from ODIN IP 10.1.100.12 user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM running
VirusScan EntSv 7.1.0 OAS)

Thanks
LSF

I don't know, I could try that, but seeing as I've searched the whole server for the file I wouldn't expect it to be there.

Could it have been deleted by another process after VirusScan detetected it but before it could be cleaned/quaratined?

I have certainly seen the same alert messages being generated from temporary files on a PC when the file got wiped by the natural course of events (eg temporary internet files).

I've seen that message before, especially with 7.1 where the e-mail was actually deleted though it was never indicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back