Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VirusScan Enterprise AutoUpdate failing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCA74

MIS
Feb 19, 2003
I have an issue while in the VirusScan Console, I choose the AutoUpdate task, click on the start button in the toolbar and whamo I get the following error:
"Failed to initialize Common Updater subsystem. Make sure the McAfee Framework Service is running"

Thanks in advance

I have an identical problem on a single machine.

The service mentioned will not start manually either.

The only thing unusual about the machine in question is that it was rebuilt recently, and win2k was installed into a winnt2 directory, as we needed to get some data off of it.

all files and folder, as well as all the registry settings are identical to many other systems we have virusscan on and working fine.

This is a known issue. NAI is currently aware of it and is working on it (hopefully) as I have the same issue.

Interestingly, I've had the same problem on a new Dell 270 running Win 2K, SP4. I uninstalled version 7 then re-installed it, only to encounter the same error. However, I had had no problems with with version 7 on Dell 150s and 240s when updating dats...

Hey JCA74 and ee61re - what hardware and OS is are you getting this error??

pjam4

mine was on a Dell latitude C610 laptop.

Hi,

I've had the same problem with Gateway computers. The error doesn't seem to occur on our Windows 2000 machines, just Windows NT4 machines. It thought it was related to NT4 so I reinstalled the previous version which works. I don't know whether to be relieved or frustrated to see that the problem is more wide-spread than that. Thanks for sharing.

I've had the issue on two machines:
-Compaq Evo D510 SFF 2.4 XP SP1
-Compaq Evo N600 1.2 WIN2K SP3

All I've been able to do in the mean time is delete VSC 7 and let the ePO agent pull VSC 4.5.1 SP1 back down.

The only thing I have been able to conclude so far was that the two machines I've had the issue with had VSC 7 manually installed via CD. The twenty others that are running fine were deployed ePO.

I think I'm throwing in the towel and reimaging!!

Hey folks,

The one solution that has worked for me is to completely re-partition and re-format the drive and start from scratch. I know this is a little time consuming, but I no longer have problems updating DAT files with VirusScan 7.
It seems the problem can be traced to the McAfee Framework service starting automatically/manually. This component is critical to the updating process. My guess is that the service became corrupt.

Later...[thumbsup]

pjam4

I did get 1 machine to accept version 7 even after it gave me the errors every one is mentioning. I was installing Version 7 on machines that had 4.5.1 sp1 already installed on them. I let version 7 remove the older version. The error occured. I found that if I uninstalled 4.5.1 sp1 manually, and then installed version 7, I didn't have the problem.

Strange, huh!

Another thing...I noticed that when I manually removed VSC 7 and let ePO policies pull VSC 4.5.1 back down to the desktop, the ePO console reported on the machine that the Common Updater for VSC 7 was still installed even though VSC 4.5.1 was back on the machine. Does any one know how to remove the Common Updater Plug-In for ver.7 from a machine?

As noted, the Common Updater is just that, a common component for McAfee programs. It's a part of the ePO agent as well. It's not exclusive to VSE 7. If you do a right click on the ePO agent, select Update Now, it should pop-up, you guessed it, the Common Updater.

AVChap
... WARNING: The Surgeon General says to take my advise at your own risk.

Here is a link to NAI's web site which should be helpful:

I installed Virusscan enterprise 7 on about 50 different machines, and had this issue come up on 3 of them. The 3 are running XP Pro and the models were a compaq evo n180, evo n610 and an evo d310v. I have not had a chance to try the above fix from NAI but will post my results once I try it.

The solution on NAI's web site that I posted above worked perfectly. The autoupdate function is working fine now.

I tried everything suggested in the knowledge base and it still didn't help. What fixed it? Sysprep 1.1. I'm running W2K Professional.

We have experienced similar problems on about 10% of our machines that we upgraded from 4.51 and 4.51SP1 running ePO 2.51. I have found that the following fix works just about every time:

1. Uninstall McAfee 4.51

2. Uninstall VSE7.

3. Remove ePO agent (C:\epoagent\aginst32.exe /remove from command prompt).

4. Reboot, run 2K in safe mode.

5. Go to C:\program files\network associates and delete the common framework directory.

6. Reboot.

7. Reinstall VSE7.

8. Reinstall ePO.

That should work. I can send folks .bat and .reg files we have developed if anyone wants them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back