Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virusscan 8.0i on Microsoft Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPiet

Technical User
Mar 16, 2004
NL
In our server environment we have epo 3.5 and at our clients virusscan 8.0i and for our servers we use vse 7.1.
My manager want to set all clients and servers to virusscan 8.0i.

I thought there were troubles when installing it onto servers.
Does anyone have experience with the combination?

I've been running 8.0i with Patch 10 on over 150 MS servers for almost a year now without a problem. I've read issues with patch 11 so haven't even looked in to testing that yet.

I have however just upgraded the server to ePO 3.6 which also works a treat:)

Half of my servers are currently running VSE 8.0i with Patches 1,4,5,7,8,9. (I'm avoiding Patch 10 and 11 because of issues reported here)

For servers, I've disabled Access Protection and Buffer Overflow Protection whereas my workstations have those features enabled.

In our enviroment we have about 300 MS servers running 8.0i there are no problemes.... we also used 7.1 before. in the opgrade case we had some servers with uninstalling problems (BSOD after uninstall). in that case you should use a uninstall tools from Ementor (mcafee partner in DK) you can write to the following email acount abrcpl@almbrand.dk and i`ll sent it to you.

I can say that patch 11 has worked a treat with all of my installs for various customers.
The main thing it fixed for us, was the ScriptScan memory leak problem.
I've got it running on hundreds of servers on around 10 different customers and all is good :)

We are running a similar setup, the problems we had with 8.0i on servers were to do with users accessing shares, after a certain amount of active connections the server would just fall over.

We were pretty much unable to replicate this in a test environment, so currently we are still sitting with 7.1 on the servers.

McAfee suggested it was the scriptscan memory leak problem, but disabling this didn't resolve the problem.

Cheers

That's exactly the problem we were having until, either disabling script scan or applying patch 11.
If disabling it doesn't work, it may be the epo agent needs to reinstalled as the virus scan policy isn't being applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back