Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Viruses found in c:\undo\backup.cab 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssamx39

Technical User
Feb 20, 2004
US
How do I get rid of this problem? There are 6 files in this file c:\undo\backup.cab that are infected with the bugbear virus.

Can I just turn off System Restore, delete the file and turn on System Restore without any problems?

You could. Or you could use the Bugbear removal tool:

Turning off System Restore is critical though. I'm just wondering what kind of AV you're running. That's close to a two year old virus.

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

Well, a couple of months ago I visited the office where this computer is located and it had NO AV on it. So when I ran Stinger on it, of course it had 147 infected files with various viruses.

So I cleaned it up as best I could and forced the user to install NAV 2004.

I've already tried the bugbear removal tool with system restore turned off and it does not detect them, however, Norton does but cannot repair or delete them. I will have to manually delete the files myself.

I just renamed the backup.cab and backup.$$$ to oldbackup.* and made sure that System Restore opened. So now I am going to delete those old files. Unless of course someone else has a better idea.

I will wait about 15-20minutes for additional responses before making that final decision.

I'm usually good at my own prognosis, but I just love talking to other techies(like myself [ponytails2] ) for a second opinion!!

Thanks carr!

Carrie

No problem.
You'll be fine going about it the way you are.
Stinger only detects about the "top 30" hot viruses at any given time, so that explains that, and no AV on the machine explains that.
With System Restore disabled, you should have no worries. Good luck.

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

I see no reason not to delete the folder and its contents. It is not a System folder.

I will have the rest of the folder deleted as soon as possible!!

Thanks!!

If it gives you a hard time, hit F8 early and often on system start, and delete the folder with Safe Mode as Administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back