Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus wont let me log into windows or format HDD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mako2345

Technical User
Dec 1, 2008
US
I got a nasty virus that downloaded all kinds of infections everytime i got on the net.

I tried removing it, but now i get a bluecreen during windows logo, and laptop restarts. I tried formatting my HDD but WIN XP cd doesnt load after a reboot and goes straight into Windows and crashes.

I tried booting CDRom first from boot up menu. I get into recovery console but it tells me that HDD is not present. I cant do anything!

The infections were: video.dll ntos.dll audio.dll reader_s.exe all kinds of .tmp infections and TrojanRemover tells me that my USERINIT.EXE has been modified. My console and regedit were disabled, and TrojanRemover tried fixing those by doing something and tell me to shut down computer manually.

To access the drive, e.g. to reformat and start over, you will need the correct SATA drivers, or see if there is a setting in the BIOS called SATA MODE, it should be either set to LEGACY or Compatible...

You could try:

DBAN to clear a drive totally...

Dr.Web LiveCD (a Linux based bootable Virus Scanner)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I dont have the SATA option in bios, I will try DBAN tommorow, considering it will let me nuke without logging into windows. Is there any other way i can install proper SATA drivers? I have a recovery cd that came with laptop.

Can I install Windows on a USB HDD or Flash Drive? I know it wasnt possible not too long ago.

I have a recovery cd that came with laptop.
Use it to FORMAT the drive and install the OS...

most preinstalled OEM (HP, DELL etc.) have a hidden partition with the OS on it, and DBAN will kill this as well, and the RecoveryCD should have the correct drivers on it...

Can I install Windows on a USB HDD or Flash Drive?
Not with out deeper knowledge on how it all works...

one can install BartPE onto a USB device and boot from it, which in effect is a working XP install, but not a regular install...

Ben

The recovery cd, after loading recovery console, tells me samething, "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed"

How would i load drivers from a CD if I cant even get into recovery console, and no floppy drive on a laptop?

im going to try DBAn tommorow. Will it load from the cd right away, as if it was a winxp or a recovery cd? and will it still load without system dettecting HDD?

DBAN is a bootable CD and should have generic drivers for SATA, as it is Linux based...

For installing the OS, you will need the correct SATA drivers for your chipset/mainboard's SATA controller... Most manufacturers supply a Floppy image or loose drivers, with which you create a FLOPPY... These drivers are necessary for the SETUP to recognize the SATA controller and hence the drives attached to it, at the beginning of the SETUP process, at the bottom of the screen, there flashes 'Hit F6 to...", you will need to hit F6 at this time (there is no feedback and hitting it a couple times does no harm)...

if you do not have a Floppy drive, then you will need to either get an USB Floppy or integrate the drivers in the Installer CD using nLite...

PS: what is the manufacturer of your PC / Mainboard, and I will point you to the correct driver!

Ben

Manufacturer is Compal. Model of laptop is FL-92, on their site its listed as jft-92 i think. On their download site they dont have SATA drivers... atleast i didnt find any.

Dban gives me a non-fatal error, which, i found, is most likely caused by no SATA drivers.

i have a usb hdd, do i still need to get a usb flash drive? and how would i turn it into a bootable floopy?

You will need these drivers, so DL them into a folder onto your external HDD:

nVidia 8600GO

Chipset : Intel PM965 / ICH8-M "Crestline"

SATA: 32-bit Floppy Configuration Utility for Intel® Matrix Storage Manager

here is a ZIP file, I created, that contains the above driver that you could try: you will need to extract them first...

since you don't have access to an USB Floppy, then you will need to create a XP CD with preferrable SP3 and add the SATA driver to it...

use nLite, it is easy and quite good...
nLite

This will not work with a recovery CD, only with a true OEM CD...

i have a usb hdd, do i still need to get a usb flash drive?
it might solve the problem with not having a Floppy drive at hand...
and how would i turn it into a bootable floopy?
read:

Turn your USB flash drive into a floppy drive

PS: I do not know if it will work with a USB Flash Drive, I've only installed using nLite or through a real USB Floppy...

Ben

Ben, thanks for help. I found out what the problem was: I had to disable AHCI controller in bios. So my SATA drivers are intact, I was able to install clean windows, althought I havent checked if the virus is still present.

What is AHCI? Anything else I should do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back