Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus WILL NOT LEAVE !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

telomostro

Technical User
Jul 12, 2006
US
I have gotten this virus in a computer running XP SP2, these are the weird symptoms:

Pop Ups everywhere.

Norton antivirus will always start with "Auto-Protect" disabled.

In My Computer 3 (shared) of my 6 hard drives have a strange (but pretty) icon, it represents a computer with an open box to the left and a CD ROM in front.

Inside these 3 HD at their root there is a "Setup.exe" with the same identical pretty icon.

So far this is all I have noticed, I have ran Ewido which cleaned 5 objects but did not seem to fix anything.

I am not sure where to go from here

If you've removed the file and a generic icon remains in it's place, I'd try Ewido and an anti rootkit of some sort (search for 'rootkit' in majorgeeks.com). Can you remove the icon(s) using the tool in HijackThis that will delete on boot?

@Erik, I wasn't sure about that file - I'm running Vista and Trend today - awful combination ...

Changing the icon of a drive
By editing the Registry it is possible to change the icon that Windows Explorer uses for a drive. For example, if you want to change Drive E's icon, create the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\DriveIcons\E\DefaultIcon\

When you create the above key, a string value named "Default" with value not set is automatically created. What you have to do is setting this value with the path of the icon, and this changes the drive icon of Drive E.

If you want revert back the default Icon, just delete the value of the "Default" string value, or just delete the above registry key. Here are two reusable routines to set or reset the icon for a specified drive:

Sub ChangeDriveIcon(ByVal driveLetter As String, ByVal icoPath As String)
Dim regKey As String
regKey = "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\" & _
driveLetter & "\DefaultIcon"

' create the parent key
CreateRegistryKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, regKey
' set the (Default) value with the icon's path
SetRegistryValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, regKey, "", icoPath
End Sub

Sub ResetDriveIcon(ByVal driveLetter As String)
Dim regKey As String
regKey = "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\" & _
driveLetter & "\DefaultIcon"

' delete the key
DeleteRegistryKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, regKey
End Sub

Hope the above helps you out with the ICONs...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Sorry Satrow.... I didn't explain my self correctly:
removing the "setup.exe" file in the drive's root changes the icon of the drive from the same icon of the "setup.exe" to a generic windows icon, does that make sense....?

Can you upload pictures on this site...?

As far as I know, you can not upload pictures directly, but use a PicHost like Photobucket or Imageshack, then paste the DIRECT LINK here...

Ben

Thank you BadBigBen I followed your link so I can show the pictures of what I am talking about. This link:

will show you the pic of My Computer and as you can see C: drive, D: drive and H: drive are the 3 drives affected, the exception is H: inside which I have removed the file that's indicated by the arrow on the picture at this link:

"A picture is worth a 100 words"

Ok, follow the above what I had Posted as per direction to fix the ICONs for the Drives...

the way it looks is that the REGISTRY may have gotten a bit jumbled up, ergo the ICONS for the Drives got replaced by the SETUP ICON (that is the pretty one)...

Ben

The generic icons are found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll

This file may be damaged or missing.

This may be worth a try.

Blackhole/crater all the setup.exe's as they should not be needed - but don't delete them at this point.

By blackhole I mean remove all access permissions.

open a command window and for each file type something like

cacls c:\setup.exe /D Everyone

This means that the file specified cannot be opened, run, executed or written to. It can be deleted however.

Now re-boot.

Then recover C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll from the windows CD ROM. It should be in the i386 folder and needs extracting. (Forgive me but I'm too tired right now to check out this exactly!)

BadBigBen, I tried to follow your sugestion above but:
1. there is not a DriveIcons folder in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\ (DriveIcons\E\DefaultIcon)
2. I do not understand what is a "reusable routine" and how do you put it to work.

I am still stuck

but thanx for the help

Format and Reinstall! The best thing you can do, when you surf the web to use a "user" rights account. This way there is no rights to install anything.

Whaaaaat....? Format and Reinstall...??????

BridgeRe, you are like a doctor that tells his patient: "I am not too sure what kind of desase you have, why don't you try jumping from the 12th floor ?"

Just kidding man, that would really be suicide, I have thousand of $ worth of software, codecs, it would be a job that would last several days maybe weeks considering I cannot spend the whole day by the computer, not to talk about the fact that some of this stuff I don't even have the original disk, if that was an option I would have done it before posting anything here. thanx for trying to help though.

@telemostro - ignore what I wrote, it may be a tad to complicated at present... just follow what STDUC mentioned first...

if all else fails... you can always do a REPAIR INSTALL, the only thing you loose are the Windows Hotfixes/Updates, not your Software...

Ben

Well that's a little extreme. There is no death here. I tend to burn anything of importance to a DVD just for that reason. Surfing the web with admin rights these days is like unprotected sex, you never know! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back