Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus Scan 7.0 Enterprise AutoUpdate via ePo 2.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew1701d

Technical User
May 15, 2002
US
Hi,
We just started deploying the new Virus Scan 7.0 Enterprise to a select number of users at my company via ePo 2.5, just noticed this but in the tasks on the ePolicy server there is no autoupdate task for 7.0. Is there a way to have the server instruct all client software to update their dat file?

dude,

There's another package called McAfee Auto Update 7.0 you have to download from McAfee. Once you do, deploy it via EPO using the software repository. In a nutshell, this new POLICY tells all the machines WHERE to look for updates. However, adding it to EPO also adds a new TASK for updating VS7 clients, scheduling updates (the WHEN part).

g'luck

I cannot find the product named "McAfee Auto Update 7.0" on the upgrade site. Is it listed under a different name? or bundled with another upgrade package?

That is included in the VSE 7 package. There's a .NAP file for that that you need to add to the repository. Once installed, this will allow you to run the updates for VSE7.

HTH, AVChap
... my $1 worth of advise, 2cents isn't enough due to inflation

The package is cmu300.nap. Its located in your vscan 7 install, you can add it to the repository as you would any other software.

1: Adding VirusScan Enterprise 7.0 to the ePolicy Orchestrator Repository is a two-step process. VirusScan Enterprise 7.0 comes with two sets of .NAP files: VSE700EN.NAP for VirusScan Enterprise 7.0 itself, and CMU300.NAP for the Common Updater. Both .NAP files must be installed to the ePO Repository.

When configuring the Repository for VirusScan Enterprise 7.0, first add the VSE700.NAP file and enable software deployment, then add the CMU300.NAP file without enabling software deployment:

Download the VirusScan installation file (VSE700EN.ZIP) from the Network Associates website.

Extract the files into a temporary directory on the ePO server.

Login to the ePO console. Right-click 'Repository' in the ePO Directory and select 'Configure Repository'. Select 'Add New Software to be Managed' and point to VSC700EN.NAP. Select "Yes" when prompted to enable software deployment. Right-click 'Repository' and select 'Configure Repository' again. Select 'Add New Software to be Managed' and point to CMU300.NAP.

It is not necessary to enable software deployment for the CMU300.NAP file, so select "No" when prompted.

I'm running a test on VSE7 on a few machines just as drew1701d is. I had to download McAfee Download Architect to create the SiteStat.XML file else there are errors out the kazoo. I believe the updates are working now but wont know that until Wednesday.

Once installed, what does it take to get ePolicy to recognize what dat file is implemented? I've got the latest dats but epo still says it's at 4249, the install dat.

Once your epo agent connects to the epo server it should send all information collected from the client. Try an agent wake-up call. You should now see the latest version in your database and in the client properties.

Yepper, been there, done that. Some machines have started communicating while a couple of machines aren't. I tried reinstalling ePo, rebooting, agent wakeup and refresh. One machine started talking after two days.

I'm with you on that one bfralia.

On inspecting the log file on the client machines I come up with this :

20030603165932: Agent: Attempting to connect to server...
20030603170338: Agent: Enforcing policy for McAfee VirusScan...
20030603170339: Agent: Enforcing policy for PCR 1.0.0 for Windows...
20030603170339: Agent: Enforcing policy for NAI ePolicy Orchestrator Agent...
20030603170339: Agent: Next policy enforcement time: 17:08:39
20030603170403: Agent: Failed to connect to Server
20030603170403: Agent: Server connection closed

For some reason the alot of my machines are failing to connect to the ePO server. I know this though, if I reinstall the agent the software will usually come after that, however, using this solution is not very ITtechieLike,if you know what I mean.

Has any body got any suggestions?

yeah right!!!! Are you kidding me? Why did they make this more difficult? I love the version upgrade (7.0) but configuring this to deploy on EPO 2.5.1 is a bear. I am getting sitestat.xml error as well as it installs two versions of McAfee 4.5.1 and 7.0. I cannot figure out what is going on. Could someone let me know its not me or is it more confusing now?

I got one...

What if you tried to run the CMU300.NAP file, just as the documentation says, then it tells you that "This product is unsupported with this version of ePO and will not be added to the repository?" I'm pretty much stuck at this point.

I work for the DOD, so I'm working on getting some help through them to NA, but you know govt work, it takes so damn long to get an answer. Anyone else have a solution to this issue?

Just an update and wanted to see if anyone could add any direction with this info. I have place the sitelist.xml file in the proper location (i think) however this doesn't make much sense due to the fact that if you put it in the update folder and it is telling the agent where to update ....well it is already there? On another note when I check my ftp log, the 4.5.1 clients are receiving the sitelist.xml file when the 7.0 clients are not. Anyone?

I had to upgrade to epo 3 to get Vscan 7 to work at all.

The previous posts were correct that the VSE700.NAP file has to be installed first, then the CMU300.NAP file.

The worst bit is that although the upgrade of epo appears seamless and all the domains are imported correctly, it actualy loses the connections to the agents and all the workstations have to be deleted and re-added, a real pain if you have alot of installations (I only have 70).

Once running correctly, epo 3 is a great improvement, although the documentation is as bad as ever.

There is no mirror task anymore, it is now a "Pull Replication Task" which has no configuration other than setting the time and frequency. It automatically finds the correct ftp site and stores updates somewhere in the system.

There is also a deployment task which installs the agent,uninstalls 4.5.1 and installs 7.0 all in one go. This seems to work very well.

Do I ascertain from this discussion that to successfully run the Autoupdates on VirusScan 7.0 I need to upgrade my Epo from 2.5 to 3.0??

Not necessarily. VSE 7.0 will work on both ePO 2.5x and 3.0. It's just a matter of being patient with the configuration. I've run VSE 7.0 on both versions and was pretty successful. Only thing is that I test it out on a set of suicide machines (in case anything happens), then several pilot workstations. If all goes well, its a full roll-out.

AVChap
... WARNING: The Surgeon General says to take my advise at your own risk.

I assume you use the same DAT files as you do with 4.5.1. Is this a correct assumption??

This is the error I get in the Server Event Viewer when I try to send an autoupdate:

&quot;Task enforcement of task CMNUPD__3000 for <computer name> software failed&quot;

Some machines will give you the Task enforcement error and most will not. Usually the McAfee Framework service isn't running because of some error. A few machines have the service running but and still don't update.

It could as easily be the ePO agent that is at fault as a manual application of the dat files works but doesn't report.

Most of the time, the VSE 7 installation goes very well via EPO 2.5.1 and the client immediately starts to update. A few wont update at all. I know it's not a permissions issue and past that point I'm not sure.

I've now tried to run the update for 7.0 running with Epo 2.5 and the error I get now is

&quot;Package information in the Catalog.xml is mismatched
or missing. Please verify the currently used repository&quot;

I've been through the web site for info on this file but am no wiser.

Stevebenson, did you install McAfee Auto Update Architect and define your repositories? If you are going to mirror the NAI site, you'll also have to make sure there is something in them. That's where the SiteStat.XML file resides. Also, you'll have to make sure there is a folder called current and there is something under there. If you used the replication routine, you'll have to do a full replication because the incremental doesn't work correctly. It will be corrected in AUA 1.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back