Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus Reported, but on scan, none found. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maritime

MIS
Jan 11, 2001
TT
I'm currently running Symantec Corporate Edition 8.0. Each time I udapte the servers' virus definition I have afew machines that report viruses. One reports Bugbear the other w32 blaster. Yet when I run manual scans on these computers nothing is found. Also the files reported as being infected are not found on the PC when you search. Any idea what could be happening? In the case of the computer with bugbear, I have tried starting the infected computer in safe mode and running the clean from diskette, but no virus is found. Any ideas?

Howdy:

What are the operating systems on these computers?? If they are ME or XP, then you will need to disable System Restore.. run a scan, and then re-enable System Restore..

Murray

Hi one machine is windows 2000 and the other is win95.

Not sure if you are using Quarantine Central but if not, the viruses are in the quarantine on the local pc. You need to delete them from the quarantine and backup on the local pc and from SSC. Then you should stop getting alerts that there are viruses.

Thanks a lot that seems to be it. I deleted the file from the user's quarantine. Thanks again.

You can also set it to not Backup the same items that are quarantined under advanced options. The item is not deleted until you delete it from the e-mail, the quarantine and the backup.

I am having the very same problem as above. Norton detects the Welchia and Blaster worms on two computers. Yet when I do a manual scan, nothing is found. On the local computer nothing is in quarantine either.

Both computers in question have been patched with the latest Windows patches. The OS is Win NT on one and Win2000 on the other.

Any idea why this may be happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back