Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus removal ,hot to restore Kernel32?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno2000

Technical User
Mar 31, 2002
SE
I just had a trojan called Syscfg32.exe ,i think it's a trojan cause i searched for it on Google and found some pages discussing it.
I've removed it but it did something to my Kernel32 ,it asks for access to the internet everytime i start the computer.
I've removed the Syscfg file ,but i need to know how to replace the Kernel32 file.

Ok, first thing's first. Is the virus gone from your computer completely? Did you use a version of anti-virus software that was within a year old and was that software updated with the latest anti-virus definitions? If any of that can be proved wrong, there's no use in even attempting to repair the kernel32 file and chances are, the virus renamed the old file and named itself as the new one because there's no reason why a kernel32 file needs access to the internet. It's attempting to infect other users is what it sounds like to me. Please, for your sake and others in your contacts/address book, try to stay off the internet until you're sure the virus is gone. I work tech support and have to call people day in and day out because they contracted either the Klez, the Magistr, the Nimda or take your pick.

I've ran both a Norton scan and a Trojan remover scan ,it's gone.Of course i have updated the definition files.

Well if it's kernel32.dll you can extract a new one from the windows cd using sfc. See this:

If it's kernel32.exe that wants to connect then delete it as it's a trojan. Click start--find files--and search for kernel32.dll. How many do you find and where are they? You should only find one in the system folder. There's no reason it should want to connect to the net.

I had to reinstall the computer ,it was a trojan for sure..
My connection was working all the time when i wasn't using it.
I got a Klez repair tool ,but the only thing it told me was that my computer might be infected..I tried every tool there is for every major known virus to no avail.

I hate viruses ,i really do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back