Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonamaker

Technical User
May 1, 2004
US
What is a good freeware Panther Virus protection software?

I have good news and bad news

There are no OSX viruses of any sort except Microsoft macro viruses, so unless you choose to use Microsoft Office apps you are safe. (there was a recent attempt to make a OSX 'proof of concept virus, it was a failure as it could only be passed if it was compressed, so it could not spread itself.

Sadly to get Microsoft's API information you must pay royalties to Microsoft per user, so unless some benefactor agrees to pay MS for every copy they give away, it is unlikely there can ever be a free MS macro virus scanner.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thank you for the response...Hmmm I am wondering since I am using Microsoft Entourage I might be getting viruses..

There was one Mac Virus a few years back, it was a worm.
But generally Macs have been virus free.
If you want to be super safe, because let's face it prevention is better than cure and it could be that some sad virus writer decides to write one aimed at Apple.
You can get Anti-virus software for Macs. Norton do one that's prety good.

I refer you to Not only does it document the "proof of concept" trojan horse that was posted by a Mac Dev, it outlines various software and recommendations for protecting the Mac OS. Keeping updated with Apple's security patches for OSX should be part of a regular regiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back