Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

virus protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
We have a small office with two NT servers and a dozen Win 98 workstations. We tried the popular virus software off the shelf but it turned out to be more trouble than
it was worth. Still we do get viruses regularly and wondered what other companies our size use?

You might want to post this question in the new -General Virus discussion. FYI, we use Sophos ( or ) which includes two types of scanners, Sweep which can be run manually or scheduled, and Intercheck which runs in the background checking files you open. Sophos has top of the line support and runs on almost any platform. It is a bit pricey, however.

We get monthly updates which include all the programs as well as virus updates. Plus, we subscribe to their e-mail updates. So far today, I have received three updates. Monday I received the update for the "Anna" virus, yesterday I was emailed the virus twice along with a third virus (Apology-B virus). It caught all of them. IMHO, well worth the price.
James P. Cottingham

The "best" antivirus would be a little hard to identify. I am currently evaluating some software that appears to be the "worst". It is running on a system with files infected by hundreds of viruses (both ancient and modern) and it refuses to correctly identify any of them.

Actually, the "best" antivirus is "no" antivirus. Take a proactive stance: isolate your computers from the world. Physically remove the floppy drives and CD-ROMS from the cases. Set up harsh system policies and deny Internet access.

I hope you understand my point. Not long ago I was assigned the task of evaluating the state of a company's Y2k readiness (don't laugh). I was somewhat surprized when I discovered that only 2% of the computer users actually needed computers to do their jobs. The remainder could have performed their duties more efficiently, at a reduced cost, had they been equipped with manual typewriters and battery powered calculators.

Be ruthless, establish priorities, find the weak links and eliminate them.

If you insist on spending a little money so you can sleep at night, try Norton Antivirus. It's relatively inexpensive and it correctly identified 85% of the virii that *the other* package chose to ignore. :)

VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com
Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back