Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus protection for win2k advanced server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwh123

Technical User
Mar 29, 2002
US
What software is out there to protect a single server running win2k advanced? I've found Norton's corporate version which is about $250 and F-secure which is over $400. Is there anything else? And is there anything cheaper/better?

Cheers,
Jeff

one quick advice : pay for F-secure, and be glad.

I have Trend ServerProtect running on 3,000 servers, it works well.

Here's the thing: the minimum for ServerProtect is a 25 user license. $600. Isn't there anything out there for a single web server running win2k advanced server?!?!

Cheers,
Jeff

Trend is fabulous. I have it on my main server, and it's protecting my other server. Have someone that knows what there doing load the Client side for you though because the documentation isn't that good. When you go to add a client, trend brings up your ad users and groups, you select the user you want to protect, and it puts a batch file in the scripts line of there profile automatically. You just have to make sure they log onto the domain, because they need to authenticate there. If there logging on locally, and using the domain resources, then ad doesn't give them the authentication they need. When the user logs on for the first time, Trend automatically checks to see if there is anti-virus software on the local, un-installs it, then loads itself with NO user intervention. The server goes out and checks for new up-dates every however many days you set it up for, and if it finds one, downloads it to the users pc when they log on. This has got to be the easiest thing I've ever had to use. Don't know the cost, boss bought it, but I'd say it's worth it. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent
and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
Samuel Johnson (1709-84); English author.

NAV Corp. will do all the same stuffas the rest of them if configured right, it required no user intervention and ndoes automated scanning and updatiing and a time table you set, I use it here at the hospital as well as on the remote sites of the hospital and also the university, and have had no problems with it at all, it has caught all the bugs on the line as they appear in peoples e mails or disks. From the date of install I have had no infections, multiple detections and deletions and no lost data. In my opinion it is more than adequate. But you know what they say about opinions.

Great question. What is out there for someone looking for some virus protection on ad. server 2000 that just runs it at home and doesn't want to pay big bucks. Thanks

Well, it looks as if I'm going with Norton corporate edition at $250. There were a number of good suggestions, but all of which come with a pretty high price tag. This really does seem like a scam to me considering that win2k advanced server is essentially the same effing kernel as the other flavors of win2k. oh well...

Thanks to everyone who's contributed!!!!

cheers,
jeff

Hi, I got norton corpoarte on ebay for $34.99 and there's more of them in the server section. I got mine in the software section.

Bob

Maybe the powers to be decided if you can afford the 3 grand for the OS, then the 600 for the AV to protect the OS. I do agree, it is pricey but i would rather spend the 600 bux on the AV software than 6000 in lost clients/data.

haha, you should try backup software for Adv Server next, Veritas sells a different serial number for the same version of Backup Exec, if you try to install with the Std license, it won't work....

just my .02 :)

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back