Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus Problems, XP won't let me use updates or Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hello,
Last weekend my computer started acting strange, so I tracked it down to Norton AntiVirus and uninstalled the app and downloaded PC-cillan, unfortunately the computer kept giving me problems about a previous Norton install, so I tried to roll back my computer to a day when it worked properly. Unfortunatly, Help and Support (where restore located) I then tried Windows Updates, which would not open either, I also found that secure sites would not work. The search option also turns up a blank gray screen. I logged in as administrator, and got restore open, but it only returned a blank white screen. I am seriously at my wits end here, any help to prevent having to reinstall Windows would be greatly appreated.
~Shane

Nortons can be very nasty to get ride of sometime. the best way to do this is to manually uninstall the program. Nortons actually has this posted on their website so what does that tell you!!!

that link should help you out! I am assuming you are running one of the latest version of Nav.

Let me know how this works out for you!

DB

I appreate it, but Norton is actually low on my priority list now, as restore and search do not work.... besides, it was 2003, not the 2001/2002 version, as your link was for, any ideas on how to restore?
Thanks
Shane

Removing Symantec is fun! Make sure that no files are hidden.
Go to Add-remove programs and make sure that Norton is gone. Then remove Live Reg and Live Update. Restart.
Go the Documents and Settings section and remove all Symantec folders in EACH section. Go to Program Files and remove Symantec folder from Common Files.

Use regedit and go the Software sections Of Current User and Local Machine and delete the Symantec Folders.

When you have done that you can also go to Symantec and download Norton removal tool for 2003.

That should clear Norton almost completely out.
Sometimes you may have to maually search the registry for all NAV, SYMANTEC, LiveReg and LiveUpd lines. Make sure that they specifically mention Symantec in the Data Lines.
If they are part a process, you can remove the entire process key.

I've done this at least a hundred times and it has cleared Norton every time.

Good Luck.

How far back did you go with your Restore Points? Did you put yourself in a situation where you went past the point that SP1 was installed on your machine?

329441 - You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP

You have so many faults that you should consider Reinstalling Windows and repairing it that way. You would lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

If your reluctant to repair you could see what the situation looks like from Safe Mode.

You can also try running the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

has fixes on site for Search and Help problems, maybe worth a visit.

This article has some things you can try too.

813444 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Connect to Secure Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back