Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus Problems when windows starts up the screen is just my wallpaper. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

caudalie

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
US
Hello Everyone!

I have a problem with my computer obviously...
I got some strange viruses on my system and When i removed them using my anti-virus software It did somthing weird to my computer and now when i restart it and It goes to the windows screen Its just my wall paper and nothing more.

No start button
No Icons
Just blank...

I can move my mouse around fine... But i dont know whats going on...

HELP! what should I do? I dont want to reinstall windows because i Have some files there that I need to backup...

- thanks!!!

Reinstall does not delete old files, the only problem is that you will need to reinstall apps.
There is a repair option.

When you have you desktop did you try launching taskmanger
Ctrl+Shift+Esc or Ctrl+Alt+Delete then run explorer.exe?

Did you turn off system restore before you deleted the virus?

Will it start in safe mode?

Repair reinstall may be good option - if you have XP install CD -
This will leave your apps, settings and data intact, but you will lose windows updates. Best done with a SP2 install disk (assuming you are running SP2). If yours isn't, you can create one - eg, see (can also add patches since SP2 if you want, and/or IE7, if you're running that)

Thanks for the replies everyone much appreciated!

GrimR (IS/IT--Management) - No i did not try launching taskmanager. I dont know what run explorer.exe means.. sorry.

I didnt turn off system restore before i deleted the virus.
I downloaded a free virus program recommended from a friend
"antivir" and after i did a scan thats when the real problems happened.

-----

wolluf (TechnicalUser) - I dont know how to start it in safe mode. I just turn on my computer and it does it's thing with the black screen and then it loads up windows.

would starting in safe mode work?
what should I do when i start it in safe mode.
assuming i can that is...

Is this a laptop or a desktop? If it's a laptop have you tried hooking up an external monitor to it to see if you see more than your wallpaper?

Good luck,

See the Registry locations mentioned in this thread, they have perhaps been altered and do not point to Explorer.exe?

regedit.exe instead of Explorer.exe
thread779-1085607

To load Explorer from the Task Manager.

1. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL (twice)

2. Select 'Task Manager'

3. Select 'File' menu

4. Select 'New Task'

5. In the Open dialog window type the word Explorer and press OK.

For Safe Mode see this, you need to press the F8 key during boot.

315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

lhuegele (IS/IT--Management) - Thanks for the tip! yes its a labtop and I tried the external monitor and No i couldnt find anymore other than my wallpaper..

- thanks

Did you try safe mode, did you try Taskmgr?

Start in Safe mode as suggested and restore to a date before you ran the scan.

I see you don't know much about computers so here is some background.

Explanations: Safe Mode Loads minimal drivers it's needs to get your OS running.
To enter safe mode press F8 at startup, I'm sure someone said this. or add this to your boot.ini [when you have your system running] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode" /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog
Explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer. It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager, just as Progman.exe was to win3.11

If your going to remove a virus, turn off system restore.
I suggest you also take a look at HiJackThis, but be careful, rather leave it if your unsure.

have you checked display properties/graphics options to see if the display is outputting to some other 'ghost' screen.

so right click the wallpaper and go to graphics options and it should say 'output to...', select 'output to monitor'

or right click the wallpaper and click properties, click last tab 'settings' and take a look there

Laters, phat, headshape

I have the same blank desktop but I'm not certain it was caused by the removal of a virus.

From my blank desktop I can open the task manager and end process on explorer.exe. I start another instance of explorer.exe and my desktop comes back but several programs do not start. It seems like the computer is hanging during startup when it gets to explorer.exe and anything that loads after that doesn't load.

The problem is specific to one user because I created another account and everything is fine when I log in as the new user.

If I figure it out, I'll post the solution here.

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP

could also try, from safe mode:

No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000
applies to XP aswell...

if all fails:

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

this will reinstall XP, without you loosing your DATA, all that you would have to do is to run Windows Update to update it again...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I've tried option 3 but it had no affect.

The computer boots fine into safe mode and if I create a new user it boots fine into the new user's profile.

I'll probably just create a new user and copy everything from the old user's profile into the new one since I've spent so much time on this already and there doesn't seem to be a quick fix.

Thanks for the suggestions.

linney,
I didn't see your post until after my last post.

Thanks

i would install an operating system over it, not a fresh reinstall...just install it over the system...here how to do it, start the computer normaly, when u get to the blank desktop screen, push CTRL, ALT, DELETE. under the applications section, click "New Task" near the bottom of the task manager window and type the letter of your CD ROM(S) drive ex x:"X:setup.exe" or try typing "setup" by itself. this will install windows xp and will reinstall the windows files that could've been partialy missing or dammaged...right after this, i suggest backing up all the files you need and then start xp from DOS and clean the partition so xp can reformat the C drive and clean any infected files or viruses off the hard drive.

oh btw i shoudlve said this in my last post but u can start the cpu in safe mode by pushing f8 while its booting...u might need to repeatedly push f8 because nobody can get the exact time to push it so push it repeatedly :)

i would install an operating system over it, not a fresh reinstall...just install it over the system...
and
right after this, i suggest backing up all the files you need and then start xp from DOS and clean the partition so xp can reformat the C drive and clean any infected files or viruses off the hard drive.

contradicting yourself in the post...

and the correct way to do it, with out the XP OS that is installed interfering, would be to use the link that I had provided...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back