Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus / Malware Scans on Local PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffc0922

Technical User
Mar 27, 2014
US
We've been having issues with the virtual server environment and our vendor thinks it may be a local issue with the pc. Anyhow our local network guy suggested to run virus/malware scans using several different programs which we have done however I'm not finding anything. Our local network guy says he'd need to come in and watch the scans run to find issues. Where and what would he be looking at that I or the program wouldn't be able to see?

Appreciate any help or advice.

Tiffany

I think he would be looking to see his weekly gross income go up. Not really kidding either. A malware or anti-virus scan normally gives you a summary which is easily analyzed for the most part as to whether it found anything or not and WHAT it found.

It doesn't seem all that logical that you go from "issues with the virtual server environment" to worrying about malware.
What is the actual symptom or problem you are having?
What have you done to troubleshoot the problem?
Are many PCs affected or just one? If many, it's not likely malware. If one, then that's more reasonable.

If you want to do some scans, here are the ones I would run and call it done.
ADWCleaner
MalwareByte's Anti-Malware
RogueKiller
ESET online scanner Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Goombawaho,

You had my busting out laughing and really reconfirmed what we we've been thinking all along. Thank you very much for your feedback and honesty.

all on the virtual servers - we have multiple servers and every time we log in, we go to a different server, so it's not one particular server
Well symptoms we are having vary
-Latency issues (particularly with users on one server)
-ERP system is constantly throwing up errors, effecting the ability to print. One user gets the error and its a chain reaction for whoever else is on that server
-MS Office 2013 configuration issues and/or stating its a fraudulent key
-Issues with sharing our system company's share drive (files)
-Freezing up, crashing
-Specifically when using Firefox to connect to the terminal service, everyday at 3pm the memory spikes then crashes

Sometimes it seems its the same user having these issues but then it will be across the board and affect everyone or just those on the same server.

They are convinced that it HAS to be a local issue. I have checked that all virus scans aren't performed until in the wee hours of the morning so that is not affecting anyone during peak times. Majority of users are standard so they cannot download programs, however that doesn't stop a virus. Also I've run several malware and anti-virus scans and almost all off them were clean. There were two pcs that had maybe 1 or 2 issues that was quarantined. So for the most part, there isn't really anything happening on our local desktops.

Tiffany

I'd go back to your server/virtual server environment for the source of the problem. It's not really logical that even if you had a virus on a workstation that you would have so many different issues with the server.

You might try a different IT company/person to come out and scope things out if you have any inclination that your current IT provider has not configured the virtual server environment correctly. That would account for a lot of issues!!!

G,

Those were my thoughts exactly... well the servers are actually the IT company that provides the service.. so anything could be happening. Thank you again and I appreciate the input.

Tiffany

Yeah, this is a situation where you have to look at everything from the server down to the desktop but my gut feeling is that it's not a malware issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back