Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

green250

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2003
CA
Hello all I have an older Dell (p2 350) I am installing XP onto, I deleted the partition and formatted the drive but everytime I do that and get it running it gives me a RPC and shuts down the pc, I know this is virus related because when I install symantec corp edition it says I have the welchia the gaobot and one other ( can't remember the name)I also did a fixmbr on it, anyone got any ideas?

Are you connected to a network while you're installing? You should find removal instructions on Symantec's web site.

I am connected to high speed internet, I went throught the removal instructions but that did not get rid of the rpc.

Come off the high speed internet while you install windows.
Best idea is get all the updates from windows and install them off CD first.
Download spybot and adaware.
Download AVG and Sygate (unless you have AV and a firewall)
Install all of these before you go online.
Once you connect go striaght to the firewall and AV update sites.
Run a full system scan.
now continue your normal install process

Start again and reformat and install XP. After the install.
Turn on the XP firewall or install your own. Install any anti virus software you have.

Now you are ready to connect to the Internet and have sufficient protection in place to update your virus definitions and then your Windows installation.

Don't go online without a firewall it only takes a second to catch a "packet".

Great thanks for the awesome info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back