Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VIRUS DESTROYED MY HD! THE HD DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudassar

Programmer
Oct 3, 2000
AU
Please Help!

I had a Virus on my computer called Junkie.mp I didn't know about it untill my hard drive started making wierd clicking sounds. I was able to remove the virus it via DOS but by then the virus destroyed most of my HD! It just keeps making those cluck or clicking noises. I can't even format the hard drive. It gives me an error when its up to 4% of formatting.

I used fdisk and a HD repair program like spinrite 5. it just doesn't work.

I know a virus did this because it was also on my other computer which I bought last month. However, I took action quicker this time and killed it. BUT at the middle of the HD, it makes the clicking sound for a few seconds and then it returns to normal. In other words the virus did a bit of damage of my newer computers HD but not as much as it did on my other one.

Anyway I could fix this? Sorry for making this long. I hope you understand what I said. (VERY STRESSED!)

Thanks
MK

We never finished running scandisk on our clicking hard drive, as it ran slower all the time as new bad sectors popped up as we watched. I ran Norton, no viruses were detected. The rescue disk was unsuccessful. The hard drive was really HOT, almost burned fingers. I've already sent it back to Western Digital. The date of manufacture on it was August 2000. So it's been replaced. Computer is ok now.

hi from new zealand
I have had the same virus(junkie.mp) it a really old virus that is really harmless, its a boot sector virus and it wont let your computer boot off your hard drive. the only way to get rid of it is to make a clean boot disk(floppy) and boot into dos the type in .................... fdisk/mbr this wil fdisk the main boot record then format your hard drive and reinstall windows. by the way before you put the floppy in make sure it is write protected as this virus will infect every floppy that goes into your computer.

But just for everyones sake there is absolutly no such thing as a hardware damaging virus, people may think different but take it from me, its not possible to damage hardware with a virus.

hope this helps

James

Guess what I figured out guys!!

This virus (junkie.mp) I had is very dangerous for IBM Hard Drives! It creates bad sectors on the drive everywhere! The only thing you can do is Zero Fill format the Hard Drive, or bad sectors would just grow bigger and bigger. Once the bad sectors chew up the beginning of the drive, its gone! the drive will no longer work, it cannot be detected by the motherboard, and all you can do is just throw it away.

For all other hard drive companies (Seagate, quantum.. etc..), it does what it supposed to do: delete com files, e.t.c...

I tested this with 3 computers. 2 of which had an IBM HD and 1 with a Seagate HD.

What do you think of this? Why does it do it to IBM drives ONLY?
-----------------
MK

Everybody should use AntiVirus! Are you protected now?

I don't think you have done enough testing of your theory. You need to be able to repeat it on more than 3 drives.
There are possibilities of track rewriting putting bad addresses onto the track that would do it but the virus people haven't indicated that they found any sort of problem like this.
I would also be curious if "spinrite" would do anything fro your drive. This is a product of Gibson Research and was invaluable in the days of seagate st225s that would lose calibration annually if not sooner. In that case it was a matter of heat related platter expansion and contraction being the cause with mechanical head location the contributing factor. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I did use Spinrite, on both the IBM Hard drives. It was not able to recover the bad sectors. The only way I was able to recover the bad sector was by a Zero Fill format.

I will soon try it on other drives and see the results. -----------------
MK

Everybody should use AntiVirus! Are you protected now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back