Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

virus deleted shell.com....help

Status
Not open for further replies.

userx47

Technical User
Aug 10, 2003
US
hello,

I had a virus and I ran AVG antivirus and I guess it cleaned everything out. But now when I try to open a program a browse box pops up and says that it can't find "shell.com". I was wondering if there was any way to restore it without reformatting my hard drive.

thanks

without doing a lot of homework into this problem, The best and quickest way to fix this is startup in safe mode and delete all temp cache,recycle bin, and if this is ME windows dump the restore cache as well. Now reboot with safemode and reinstall, NOT format, reinstall O/S. in 40 minutes you be up and running new O/S with all your old applications and programs and files in place. The only manual items you'll need to do is to UPDATE all features thru Microsoft. update,
your virus updates should and will be in place. When you reinstall you replace the old explorer 5.0 or 5.5 with what is on the cd disc. Its always best to recheck the updates on the virus page anyway. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for replying so fast...I haven't tried it out yet but I am glad that I got an answer. I hope that this fixes everything.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back