Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus Definition File date not updating after successful LiveUpdate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunJunBK

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2008
US
I have one user on the network I am running whose Virus Definition File date will not update. PC is successful in running Liveupdate scan manually and weekly as scheduled. Please advise.

"That's not thunder, I just kick hard."
JunJunBK

I would delete all temporary files in the C:\Documents and settings\All user\... folder and restart the SAV client.

Issue has been resolved. Did a simple reinstallation of SAV.

"That's not thunder, I just kick hard."
JunJunBK

hey guys i have the same problem: when updates the virus definition files everything seems completely normal. After updating, the virus definition file date does not change. If i run LiveUpdate again the new files will be downloaded again. Now my virus definition file is 40 days old and i need help urgently. however the method u told me was confusing. after i reached the "all users" folder, where do i go? please give detailed instruction to fix this problem ASAP!! thanks!!

@1236987412

This has happened to me before with SAV 10.1.5, a reinstall does not help and sometimes a complete removal doesnt help either.

Stop the symantec antivirus services

Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\ (this is for the version I am using 10.1.5)

Delete all the folders and files within it.

Restart the service

run live update.

it should update successfully now.

What i've noticed on some of my workstations is that the 7.5 folders gets piled up with logs (sometimes 10gigs worth) and it just stops working....weird.

I am seeing a similar issue with a group of WinXP clients connecting to 10.1.6.6 System Center, I have some remote clients that are on a wide range of virus defs from a few days behind to almost a full year behind yet they are connecting into the SAV server daily. I have one of the clients exhibiting being "stuck" on virus defs from October that I can physically sit in front of and snoop around on, this machine in the event log states "Virus Definitions are Current" yet when I pop open the SAV screen it is still showing "10/08/08" as the current virus definition on the machine. I have tried the following 2 things so far with no results:

1. Stop SAV service, Delete the I2_LDVP.VDB & I2_LDVP.TMP files from the 7.5 folder, restart SAV service.

2. Copy the GRC.DAT file from the SAV server into the 7.5 folder and restart SAV to "pull in" the GRC.DAT settings.

The fact that the event log states the "virus definitions are current" is really confusing/troubling to me, any other suggestions/advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back