Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

virus and spyware found - deleted- internet still very slow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonGuerra

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
CA
I have dsl that is supposed to download at 3.5mb. Everything was running smooth until a roomate noticed that some desktop search was automatically loading on his machine with out him clicking on anything (his was watching a movie). Then the internet start acting as if it was a dial-up connection. I did an online scan and found that there was 1 virus and 5 malware. I erased all via the registry and the performance of the internet is still poor. Still poor after resesting the dsl modem and the computer. Thank you!

To add to what Erik said, since you know how to access the registry, look again at many keys such as run or runservices, some of this crud knows how to reinstall itself as fast as you delete it.

After running the mentioned spyware products, or others, look again at those two particular keys, get to know whats there so you will recognize changes.

Thank you guys very much. I called the dsl company and right when I was talking to the support person the internet started working properly (i hate it when things make me look like a buster :) - thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back