Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual XP Machine won't run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phototechman

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2009
US
Hello,

I have windows 7 ult edit, 64bit. My mainboard does support virtualization and I NORMALLY can run Virtual XP mode on my 7 pc. After a few days of being on, I get an error saying that virtualization isn't running and it can't start (see attached).

I reboot, check my bios, and its on.. Once I boot back into win 7 I can run xp mode, then after a few days or so it will pop up that error until I reboot.

PC SPECS:
Windows 7 64bit ultimate edition
Mainboard: Abit AB9Pro
e6600 core 2 duo
8 gigs of DDR2 PC6400

All bios, drivers and software are up to date. Has anyone seen this or have any ideas on how to fix it? I use XP mode a lot to test things out and its annoying to have to reboot each time I want to use it.

In the Event Viewer of both machines are there any clues?

Try running ChkDsk (both machines) to check your drives for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

This might be a handy forum to know about.

Windows 7 Virtualization

Hello,

I have tired running check disk on both the virtual pc as well as the physical one. Both came back clean with no errors. I've tired to import my virtual drive back in, same issues..

I checked the event logs, nothing about virtual PC's or anything at all. However this is odd. Ever time I start up xp mode, this gets logged under applications.

EVENT ID:35
PROVIDER: SidebySide
DETAILS:

Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\windows live\photo gallery\MovieMaker.Exe".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files (x86)\windows live\photo gallery\WLMFDS.DLL" on line 8. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Definition is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] SideBySide

- EventID 35

[ Qualifiers] 49409

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-09-02T07:33:01.000000000Z

EventRecordID 7334

Channel Application

Security

- EventData

WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1"
WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1"

c:\program files (x86)\windows live\photo gallery\MovieMaker.Exe
c:\program files (x86)\windows live\photo gallery\WLMFDS.DLL

I wouldn't worry too much about that error.

SideBySide Event ID 35 is logged in the Application log when you start Windows Live Movie Maker on a 64-bit Windows operating system

SFC, have you tried that on both machines?

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista (or 7)

The only other thing I can suggest is that you increase the power-down and boot-up options of the VM and see if that prevents it from disappearing.

Yes I have ran SFC on both machines, no errors found..

I don't have movie maker installed and that error shows up each and every time I try to run my virtual PC. Odd.

Are you by any chance running low on resources in the XP VM?

By default it is configured to use only 512MB of memory, but you have a lot & should be able to increase that if necessary. It never hurts to throw memory at Windows.

Maybe you have a memory leak that is bringing it down over time.

Jock

Hello,

The Virtual PC has 2gigs of ram allocated to it, and 300gigs of HDD space. When it works, it works great for awhile. Then the next time I try to get into it I get the error saying that virtualization isn't enabled.

I'd suggest that you update the XP Mode software...

there is an update available for download at the following webpage, but still keep VT active in the BIOS as it will give you a boost in performance...

Windows Virtual PC

Is hardware virtualization a must-have to run Windows XP Mode?

No. Windows XP Mode can be run on a CPU without hardware virtualization.
source: Support: FAQ -

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

You might also consider VMWare player. It's free, easy to download and set up. I'd try that (or any other virtual machine for that matter) and see if the problem continues or gets cleared up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back