Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual SMTP Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnHoward

Technical User
Jan 15, 2001
GB
Config:
Win2k (SP2), Exchange 2k (SP1), dial on demand ISDN to ISP and DNS is set to point externally.

Problem:

Outgoing SMTP mail queue (configured to send via SMARTHOST) stays active after connecting, resulting in continuous connection to the ISP. If we reset router connection via telnet messages destined for ISP then go into a "Messages with an Unreachable destination Queue" and are not sent. The only way to resolve is to Stop and Start the virtual SMTP server.

The only way that we seem to get round this problem is by pointing E2K and WIN2K to an external DNS server. Unfortunately this also causes the problem of the server bringing up unwanted connections to our ISP periodically.

Anyone any ideas?

John

Your E2K box should point to internal DNS. Internal DNS should point to itself and forwarders to ISP. This has been something I check in almost every case and I can count on one hand the number of people who do it like this before calling. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Thanks Xybertron.

I am pretty sure thats what we had originally. It did seem to work periodically and after a start\stop of the Virtual Server but after a while most messages would fail again with destination unreachable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back