Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual Shared Disks vs. AIX 5.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trifo

MIS
May 9, 2002
HU
Hi!

I am trying to create virtual shared disks on AIX 5.2, but I got stucked.

Apparently I need to install a handful of rsct.* filesets:
rsct.core
rsct.basic
rsct.core.util
rsct.core.sec
- and -
rsct.vsd.vsdd
rsct.vsd.cmds
rsct.vsd.rvsd
rsct.vsd.vsdrm

Documents say these are part of AIX install kit, thus I can install them from the AIX install media. Well, I can not. I was unable to find 5 filesets of the 8 above. I can find fixes on the fix central, but not the basic sets. Can you tell me how to obtain them?

Thankfully,

--Trifo

The VSD filesets are usually packaged on the PSSP CD's. I don't think IBM started packaging this in the AIX base code.

Jarrett
IBM Certified Systems Expert pSeries HACMP for AIX
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert for AIX 5L and pSeries
- AIX 5L Systems Administration
- AIX 5L Performance and System Tuning
- p690 Technical Support
- pSeries HACMP for AIX

The rsct filesets are included now as part of the base OS install. IBM changed the architecture of this part of AIX, whereas PSSP used to sit atop AIX, the rsct has been developed into it.

Look on the other CD's besides disk 1, if you haven't. The files may be on disk 2. I don't have any CD's handy to look. All I have is my lppsource which has the rsct filesets which were copied from the CD'S, but not sure which one.

Hi!

For real, I want to use GPFS, and I thought that VSD is a must for it. Now I am not sure.
Well, is it, or is not?

--Trifo

Here is a link that will hopefully answer most of your questions.

Although IBM packages the rsct filesets for the vsd's in AIX 5.1/5.2, the gpfs filesets are packaged separately from AIX. From the documentation on IBM's site, it does appear that the VSD's are still underneath GPFS but not sure if the VSD's code is included in the GPFS filesets or not.

Hope this helps.

Jarrett

Thank Jarret, I know the link you wrote. But can you tell me what kind of software BOXes will I have to buy?

...somehow IBM itself does not really want to answer the same question to me. Don't they want to sell their product?!

--Trifo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back