Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpdg

Programmer
May 23, 2005
US
I bought a new laptop with vista home premium already installed on it. Is it pssible to do parallel install of WinXP on the same computer, boot up the computer with it and be able to run the original installation of vista inside a virtual PC environment?

No, not if I understand correctly anyway. If you want to also use XP, why not just leave Vista as it is, and run XP under VirtualPC?

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

266465 - HOW TO: Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000

You can do the same with XP.
See the paragraph in this article.

"To install Windows XP to a new folder (to perform a parallel installation):"

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

I have actually found this same web page that gives the explanation. The problem now is that the intallation is not finding the drive so it has to abort.

A friend told me that you have to get the chipset drivers for the laptop, put them on a floppy and load them when you are prompted with F6. That way the installation is able to see the drive.

That is probably correct. XP likely did not include the drivers for your system at the time it was released. You'll need to get the XP drivers from the manufacturer's website and load them by floppy (I hope you have a floppy).

It sounds like it might be a little too late now, but how do you plan to install Vista to the Virtual PC? In addition to the problem you're having with XP, it's also unlikely that your OEM restore disks will restore the Vista OS to the VirtualPC.

Yea, this computer didn't come with a floppy drive. I'll have to buy a USB floppy just to install XP. Do you think the install disk would recognize a USB memory stick?

Well if I boot up in XP and run virtualPC couldn't I open up Vista inside?

Or visa versa, booting up in Vista and opening

Well if I boot up in XP and run virtualPC couldn't I open up Vista inside?
NOT without installing it under VirtualPC!!!

get the chipset drivers for the laptop, put them on a floppy and load them when you are prompted with F6
he meant the SATA drivers...

I'll have to buy a USB floppy just to install XP.
again, not necessarily... take a look at nLite, it will integrate SATA drivers, service packs, and more, and then create a bootable CD for installing...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

This is the nLite that I downloaded from that site, is it the right one?

nLite-1.4.8.installer.exe

Alright, I went ahead and installed it. For the set up it's asking me to "Locate the windows installation".

Do I put in the path to the XP intstallation disk on the CD?

Yes, you can or copy the whole CD to a folder on the HDD...

you also should have the TEXTMODE drivers for the SATA controller somewhere extracted, as you will need those aswell...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back