Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual PC and copy protected floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayjaycee

Technical User
Mar 5, 2001
GB
Does anyone know enough about Mac Os X and Virtual Pc to tell me how to mount a copy-protected floppy?

Both the Mac and Windows OS refuse to mount the floppy (although it works fine running the application on a native Windows PC), and we can't create an image file.

I've tried using dd from terminal command line to create an image, but I'm guessing that the OsX image file format can't be created that easily.

I look forward to any replies, but note that I'm more a unix guy than Mac, so I may be overlooking something that's quite simple to you folk ;-)

Andrew

One by one, the penguins steal my sanity. X-)

Is this an 800K disk? Mac drives will not accept the DD disks, only 1.4 Mb HD floppy disks.

Can you unprotect the floppy on the PC and then make a new one on a 1.4 Mb disk to use on the Mac?

Are we violating DMCA? Should I not have made these suggestions?

- - picklefish - -

> Is this an 800K disk? Mac drives will not accept the DD disks, only 1.4 Mb HD floppy disks.

It's a 1.4Mb floppy.

> Can you unprotect the floppy on the PC and then make a new one on a 1.4 Mb disk to use on the Mac?

Nope - neither a PC nor a Mac can read the floppy themselves - only the application which needs the floppy to unlock it.

> Are we violating DMCA?

Not really, we just want to run the PC application under Virtual PC on a Mac, rather than having to buy a separate PC to run it.

> Should I not have made these suggestions?

Absolutely !

jimoblak,

just in case you misinterpreted my last comment, I meant to say that yes, you should make suggestions - all comments are always gratefully received :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back