Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VIRTUAL ON LINE SERVER ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FISKO

Technical User
Aug 30, 2005
GB
Hi is it possible to set up and run server 2003 on line: ie on a hosted web space? The reason I ask is it appears it would be just the answer to many of my problems. If I could mirror my PHYSICAL server on my web space with the same logons etc. It could be accessed at any time from any where by my users, tyhey would have the programs that they require on their computers and WORK on line opening, changing, creating and saving their work on the ONLINE Virtual server. Just a thought, can it be done does it already exist and if not why not.
Thanks

Only the GOOD die young,
Me? I'm here forever!

You would need to setup a Terminal Server at a hosting company. This is relitevly easy to do, you just need to find a hosting company where you can rack a server and allow access to the terminal server service through the firewall.

That or setup a VPN solution for a more secure setup.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thanks

Hi does it have to be terminal server? as all the appliations will be on the users machines?

Only the GOOD die young,
Me? I'm here forever!

Oh, you want a remote file share?

The only secure way to do that would be to have the users VPN into a network. I would recommend just setting up a VPN server at the office and having the few users who need the access connect to that.

Maintaining file replication between an remote server and the office would be tough. And setting up a file server on the net without a firewall and VPN server would be sucide. All the files would be viewable by any script kitty that wanted to hack into them.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

THanks for your ideas, It seems a natural progression to use the web and a domain/site that file serves the users that I give access to it, just like my PHYSICAL server in school. Most if not all my users have fast broadband internet access and could then access and work on their files from anywhere. I do not want/ and am not allowed to by the local authority to set up my PHYSICAL server to do this. ( I cannot even access this server my self from out side the county's closed (physicaly) net work.I can however upload files to a web space which made me think of mirroring my PHYSICAL server on the web.

Only the GOOD die young,
Me? I'm here forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back