Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virtual Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaillant

Technical User
Jun 19, 2005
BE
Hi,

I want to build up my experience dealing with WIn Server2003 and I don't want to re-arrange my simple home network ... so i started with VMware and now want to build a virtual network on my workstation. I installed my servers and clients but cant get them to work together appart from my real network.

I want to use 1 server with 2 virtual nics, 1 that connects to my real network but only for internet resources and the other to my virtual network. Using a virtual server for dhcp and DC, but the other clients can't get an ip...

Anybody got a clue what modes i must use for my virtual nics ?

Thanks in advance,

Michel

If you're using VMWare Workstation you should set up the server VM to have one NIC using Bridged (if you have ip addresses available) or NAT (if you don't have any IP Addresses available) and then the second NIC should be set to Custom, then select one of the unoccupied VMNets, for this example VMNet2. Then all of your clients within that WMWare Workstation would only have their NICs set to Custom, with VMNet2 selected. This will put them on the same virtual network and the server will also have a second NIC that is connected to your host machine's real network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back